Chapter 20

Nova

The second of a breeze feels so nice. Today is extra hot, and the humidity isn't making it any better. I sit there at the coffee shop waiting for Holland to show. I agreed to meet with him, hopefully for some closure.

"Hey Nova,"I hear his voice behind me.

"Hi," I stand up, he greets me with a hug.

"How've you been?" Holland asks, taking a seat across from me.

"I've been good, and you?" I sip my iced coffee. "I hope you don't mind, I was thirsty."

"No of course not. I've been good! Thank you for meeting with me today," he smiles, meeting my eyes.

He hasn't changed a bit, he still looks like the man I fell in love with all those years ago.

"Of course, I guess deep down I needed to do this," I fidget with my hands.

"Yes, I suppose I have a lot of explaining to do," he clears his throat.

"So how are you and Angel?" I ask, more curious than genuine.

"We're not together anymore," he awkwardly says, taking a sip of water.

"Oh,"

So they both broke my heart, all for nothing.

"Yeah," he looks away from me. "Look Nova, i'm sorry, there will never be enough words to express to you the amount that I regret what I did to you, and your band," he apologizes, staring at me.

"Holland, I trusted you, we were together for four years!" I feel myself getting worked up.

The thing is, is that we haven't seen each other in years. The last time I saw him, I was giving his things back. All of his sweaters, and t shirts, CDs, notebooks, his personal items that were at my house.

"I know, but i've grown up since then. I was the one who broke it off with Angel, I realized what a colossal fuck up I was, and how much I missed you," Holland takes me hand.

"So, do you know what Angel is doing?" I retract my hand, changing the subject.

"No, last thing I heard she was trying to get signed by another record label, but no one would take her. I guess all she could do was play the guitar, and no one wanted someone in their band would steals other people's boyfriends,"

"Mmmm I wouldn't say it was all her fault," I get sarcastic.

"I know," he sighs, leaning back in the seat. "Listen, I never meant for any of it to happen, you were always tired from tour or from writing, and never wanted to go out. Angel reminded me of you when we first started dating, she was so full of life and she enjoyed my company, then one thing lead to another-"

"So this is my fault?" I scowl, glaring at him.

"No of course it's not, it's my fault to have done what I did, I guess I just missed the you that I fell in love with, and i'm so sorry that I didn't try to talk to you about how I felt, instead I just made the biggest mistake of my life," Holland speaks, so sincere.

We sit there for what feels like forever in silence. I got the apology that I needed and now I know that I can fully move on.

"Well, I should head back to the venue, it was nice catching up," I kindly say, taking money out and placing it on the table.

"Wait Nova," Holland stands with me.

He comes in closer, taking my hands. "I was wondering if you were open to giving me another chance?"

"Uh—i'm dating someone else," I retract back a little.

"But we have so much history, I know everything there is to know about you, you don't have to start all over again, we can continue where we were, and move in together, and I can show you just how much I have changed," Holland pleads with me, cupping my face.

Before I could get anything out, his lips were on mine.

I struggle to get away from him, but his grasp is too tight.

"I've missed you so much Nova," he says in between his kisses. "I still love you."

"Holland, no get off of me!" I shove him off, slapping him. "You really fucked me up, I could never trust you again," I spit out, tearing up as I storm off away from him.