15 days

The weather was balmy

The clock has not yet struck midnight but the air feels much darker than it should.

Taehyung was at the back door of their cafe, again. He loves the short breaks he takes in the secret corner they have created here, and to feel the wind reaching him through the leaves and touching his face.

He leans his back against the wall as he watches the smoke he blows mix with the faint light spreading over his head.

Thinking about the direction his life has evolved for the last week gives him feelings that he cannot describe.

The coffees they have been drinking together for a week now, the conversations they had with their friends like they did in high school, the breakfasts and lunches they had together... Despite all of this, it was as if his soul was still waiting at that time when the two of them walked away without saying goodbye to each other.

Although they had never been alone since the day he came to his house, they had spent almost all of their time together, with their friends.

The moments he spends with Jimin make him feel like memories from his dreams.

Taehyung is sad on the one hand and feeling good on the other. The times he spent with Jimin's presence seemed so foreign and so familiar at the same time.

"Last time I remember you quit smoking."

"Oh," Taehyung winces when a familiar voice pulls him from his deep thoughts, "I didn't realize you were coming."

"Didn't mean to scare you," Jimin points behind him with his thumb, at the end of the dark path, "I wanted to see the moon and star before I came in."

In fact, Taehyung had gone out to see them too, and when he returned, suddenly decided to smoke before going inside.

"You took good care of them," Jimin says with a warm smile, "I couldn't believe how much they've grown."

When Taehyung hears their name, he remembers the day they found the moon and star on the street and adopted them.

He thinks of the moment Jimin cried as he hugged the two apparently abandoned dogs they found huddled together trembling in the street and promised that he would never leave them.

He thinks of the moment when they realized that they are not separated from each other's side, just similar to them and decided to name the dogs the way they called each other (privately, because they thought their friends would make fun of them).

And he thinks about the dog house they built for them in the backyard of the cafe and the moon and star symbols they drew together on it.

Taehyung's heart breaks. It breaks his heart to realize how far the good things from their past linger in his memory.