- a memory

— the night when the junior year ends and their summer break begins

"If I get kicked out at the last moment, I'll kill him."

Jimin grumbled as he hurriedly put on his slippers. After turning the room key carefully, he checked the hallway and made his way to the fire exit, his body pressed against the walls, as he did every night he sneak out the dorm.

He hurled a curse to the dormitory administration which started this night-time curfew and put him in such situations, then opened the door to the stairs. This was always where he had the hardest time, the damn door weighed twice as much as Jimin.

He closed the door as quietly as he could with his lower lip between his teeth and saw Taehyung waiting for him in his usual place, under the street lamp across the street.

Jimin's lips curved into a big and bright smile without him even realizing it. He hurried down the stairs to him and they hugged briefly but tightly. As if they hadn't been drinking together tonight and neither of their cheeks were still red.

"Taehyung, it's 3 in the morning." Jimin said as he stepped back.

"I know," Taehyung ruffled his quickly but neatly combed hair, "You can sleep as much as you want when you go to Busan."

"As if you're gonna let this happen."

Taehyung chuckled, "You've got a point."

"I have a train in a few hours, you know, spill it quickly."

Taehyung pointed behind Jimin with his eyebrows, "I came to kidnap you."

"What?" Jimin turned around and saw one of those tandem bikes that he had never seen except for the romantic comedy movies he watched with Taehyung. He was a little surprised that nothing around him had attracted his attention after seeing Taehyung from the stairs, he hadn't even noticed it, "You can't be serious."

"I rented it for a night," Taehyung wrapped an arm around his neck as he leaned his body against Jimin's back, "To nicely say goodbye to you."

As Jimin leaned back against the body behind him, he touched the arm resting on his chest with his hand, "Looks like you're going to miss me so much."

Taehyung inhaled the scent of strands of hair tickling his nose. He was glad that Jimin had turned his back because seeing him close his eyes as he did this could be embarrassing and hard to explain.

"Even more than you think."

Jimin turned his face slightly, his cheek touching Taehyung's chin, "You don't sound like teasing me, why?"

Taehyung shrugged, "I don't feel like making fun of me being without you."

Jimin tickled Taehyung's arm a little with his fingertips, "Don't be a fool, you'll never be without me."

Taehyung smiled, that was what he wanted most in the world to believe. He grabbed Jimin by the waist and turned towards him.

"Can you promise?"

"Why do you need a promise? Can't you see us together in the future?" Jimin squinted, unlike Taehyung he was still playful because he didn't think it would happen, "Like 10 years from now?"

"Not to be me, but, no one I love who was with me 10 years ago is here now."

Jimin tilted his head a little to the side and placed his palm on his cheek, "Taehyung," he murmured, voice full of interest.

Taehyung looked into his beautiful eyes that glowed in the darkness, afraid to contaminate his sparkles with the sadness in his own.

He was always so afraid that his own gloom would steal the hope and trust that surrounded Jimin.

It was a little easier to ignore this fear when Jimin was around, but when he was gone.. Taehyung had prepared himself for the possibility that he would never come back. Like his parents, like his grandmother, who, albeit unwillingly, was still gone.

He never told Jimin this, he knew he would be mad.

He never told anyone. But he was always, always afraid that someone would see that a better life was possible away from him, who was living with a faint enthusiasm.

"I'll be waiting for you." he finally said, leaning against the touch on his cheek.

Jimin paused for a moment, wishing he could know what feelings the expression on his face was a reflection of.

"Why don't you come with me?"

Taehyung blinked, "To your family?"

Jimin nodded, "Wouldn't it be nice if you came with me instead of spending the holiday here?"

"It would be," Taehyung answered without thinking, but then frowned, "But what if they don't like me?"

Jimin rolled his eyes, "They'd love you, stupid."

Taehyung grabbed the hand on his face and pulled Jimin towards him, Jimin giggled, his arms settled into the familiar waist curve and his chin settled on Taehyung's shoulder.

He loved the soft, masculine scent that came to his nose when he held the taller one. He inhaled the smell thoroughly, realizing that he hated leaving just as much as Taehyung does.

"Please," his pursed lips moved as he leaned against his chest, "Come with me."

"Maybe I can come on next break, hm?"

Jimin knew that 'the next break' would never come, yet he nodded and let it go.

Taehyung stared at the tandem as he hugged him tighter and decided to do whatever he could to make this night memorable for Jimin, in case he wouldn't come back to him.

They ride it from street by street, singing in a voice that low enough for only the two of them to hear, hugged, talked about beautiful things while holding hands. About the stars, about love, friendship and about each other.

Then, Taehyung dropped him back to where he picked him up with the dusty pink lights of morning.

Jimin didn't like goodbyes, so he briefly hugged Taehyung, left small kisses on his cheek and top of his hand, then went to his dorm.

As Taehyung was pushing the bike and walking home, he admitted something to himself for the first and last time; this summer and all the summers after, he'll always wait for Jimin.

-