VIII. FALSE ROUTE

Chapter 8

1–9 PM.

RYO’S slowly driving. They decided to have a road trip early this morning. Tss! Tyron, Red and Aoi are sleeping and Ryo and I are the one who is awake obviously. It past one already and we haven’t eaten lunch yet.

“Ryo, what if you find some restaurant so we could eat? It’s afternoon already and we haven’t eaten lunch yet,” I suggested.

“Sure do,” he answered. I close my eyes to take a nap when a heavy thing dropped at my shoulder.

Napamulat ako and saw Red’s head leaning at my shoulder. I heard Ryo chuckles kaya sinamaan ko ito ng tingin.

“What? I’m laughing at the scenery in front of me,” pagak akong tumawa. “Amazing! Is there anything funny in the plain road in front of you, Ryo?” I then smiled sarcastically.

Finally, he let out the chuckles he’s been preventing to release.

“HA HA HA,” I united with him, sarcastically. Then I rolled my eyes. I fixed Red’s head and placed it in my lap.

“Is Tyron sleeping comfortably, Ryo?” I asked the latter dahil hindi ko nakikita si Tyron nang maayos.

“If not, can you help me switch Tyron and Red’s place?” I added.

“You really like Tyron that much, eh?” he inquired which made me rolled my eyes. Here we go again.

“If you prefer not to do what I said, do fix his sitting arrangement na lang so he wouldn’t catch a stiff neck. Do cover my jacket with him too,” I then handed him my jacket yet he didn’t get it.

Stubborn Ryo.

“Let’s switch them places,” Ryo stated and he stopped the car so we did what we’re talking about a while ago.

I laid Tyron’s head at the whole back seat chair and covered his upper body with my jacket at lumabas. I heard Ryo calling me but no. I studied the place and it was indeed strange. I thought we are on a highway but seems like we’re in a forest.

To answer my questions, I knocked at Ryo’s window and gestured him to get out. So he did.

“Look at your surroundings,” I told him and after a while, his forehead creased.

“Why we’re here in an alike-forest?” Ryo mumbled and look at me as if I was the answer to his inquiry.

“Ask yourself,” I responded which he replied in a hiss.

“I’m just following the guides. First, when you asked for a restau on the highway, I saw a sign with a Net’s cuisine papasok dito. Then... ah! That! We’re not lost, Cey!” he yelled kaya napatingin ako sa kaniya and saw him pointing something. As I looked at it, it was the sign with a Net’s cuisine, 20 meters.

“Let’s hurry. I’m indeed hungry already,” I just nodded at him and we were about to get in the car when it’s door opened.

Aoi, who opened the door, toured her eyes and afterwards, it widened. Pumasok siya na parang may hinahanap at lumabas ulit with a worried expressions kaya natawa kami ni Ryo. She hadn’t seen us kaya siguro gano’n na lang ang naging reaksyon niya.

She perhaps thought that Ryo and I leave them.

Bumaling ang tingin niya sa amin at mabilis na lumabas and hurriedly went to our direction. Malayo-layo na kasi kami mula sa kotse.

“Careful!” Ryo shouted kaya nag-thumbs up si Aoi.

“Hay! I thought you leave us three!” the first thing she said after running. She held her knees and sigh heavily. She is chasing her breath while making her right palm a fan.