XXXI. BOOKCASE

Chapter 31

LACEY’S TURN into slit as she noticed Pael walking from not so far to her location. I know it. He’s here. She thought before grinning mischievously. Today is the day to start putting an end in everything.

She roam her gaze once again and saw Pael talking from someone. The two went in a food restaurant, making her forehead creased.

“What’s this? Lunch with my comrade on how to evict me on public?” Lacey whispered to herself and was about to take an action to enter the diner when she hear footsteps rushing and high voices, more likely they are shouting.

Lacey glance at the restaurant where she saw Pael and Ara yet she see nothing, even their shadows.

“Shit,” Lacey mumbled, irritated by the fact that those two got lost in her sight. Bumuga ito ng hangin bago pinuntahan ang lugar kung saan may mga sumisigaw.

Sha grab one of a girl in front of a bookstore and asked. “What’s happening here?”

She creased her forehead when she heard the girl she grabbed cries so she decided to let go of her arm and let her sob.

“The books got stolen...” dinig nitong saad ng babae kaya napahilamos siya sa mukha.

That’s it? The one she decided to do first was just like that? Missing books?

Lacey hissed mentally and sighed heavily. It is her fault that she decided to look for this instead of finding the two.

“No! Don’t get me wrong. The six... six best mystery books of all time are missing,” the girl went on, wiping her tears and even rheum, making Lacey grimace.

“Like?” Lacey asked, pulling the girl to enter the bookstore.

Ah, another case. She thought.

Why does it seems like destiny doesn’t want her to investigate the matter regarding the connection of her current mission this time?

“Te... teka!” pigil sa kaniya ng babae at sinarado ang pinto para hindi sila makapasok kaya nangunot ang noo niya. “What?” she asked, irritated visible in her tone and eyes.

“Baka naman jinojoke mo lang ako na tutulungan mo ako tapos mangunguha ka pala?” the girl mocked her, making her stick her tongue out but she prevented herself.

“Doll, if I solved this. Give me a book,” Lacey challenged and the girl’s eyes turn into slit.

“Ano ang gusto mong libro kung ganoon?” tanong ng babae kaya sumilay ang isang ngisi sa labi nito.

“And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie,” Lacey answered, gaining a gasp and open mouth from the girl or from the bookstore owner.

Tumaas ang kilay nito bago tinignan si Lacey. “Alright. Kapag nahanap mo, sige. I will bring one copy for you and if you did not, you’re going to give me a money, especially Agatha Christie’s novel ATTWN price! Deal?” alok nito at pinorma ang kamay sa isang handshake.

Lacey then grinned.

Roaming her gaze after the door opened, she saw nothing suspicious. There were no people in the bookcase because of the missing the best mystery stories of all time.

“How did it lose? Did someone buy it or someone steal those books?” she asked again before walking, checking all the possible hidding spot of the books.

Aside from the big and tall shelves, tables and chairs and the counter, there were no suspicious location to hide a book.

“Ang sabi ng guard na nag-checheck ng mga taong lumalabas, wala naman raw so paano nangyari iyon? Hinanap na namin sa buong lugar pero wala pa rin. Ano ’yon, nag-vanish ang mga libro?” Lacey wants to wince because of the girl’s words.