Chapter 12

The holiday break had come, and most of the students had left on the Hogwarts Express the day prior. The castle felt odd being so empty and quiet. Only a handful of students and faculty remained.

Hermione had spent most of the day in the library, reading in Hogwarts: A History. She has lost track of how many times she's read it, but it never seems to get old for her. Since it is the holiday and she has no exams to study for, or essays to write, she felt odd having so much time on her hands. It's been a while since she's had time to read only for fun. The library has always been an escape for her. She loves the smell, the quiet, and of course being surrounded by all the knowledge she could possibly want for. It's her favorite place on Earth.

She was so engrossed in her reading that when a voice sounded out directly behind her it startled her, and she let out a squeak before turning and seeing a quite amused Draco Malfoy laughing heartily behind her. "Sorry Granger. Didn't mean to scare you," he said with a smirk.

"It's fine. I was off in my own little world," she replied.

"Care to take a break? Walk with me?"

"Sure," she said as she closed up the large book in front of her on the table, "Give me a moment to put this away."

She was back a minute later with her bag slung over her shoulder. "Where are we headed to?" She asked.

"It's a surprise."

"Ooooo...mysterious," she said with a smile.

The two walked out of the library and then Draco lead her through the castle and up into the Astronomy tower. As they walked out onto the open area at the top of the tower, Hermione asked, "The surprise is the Astronomy tower?"

"Patience," Draco chuckled as he placed his hand on the small of her back and gently guided her over to the railing, "Look just over there."

He pointed to the skyline where the sun had just set, and darkness was settling in for the night. "Watch and wait. Trust me, it'll be worth it."

"Okay," Hermione said, still a little unsure of all of this. She'd not used to Draco being so nice. She was still not sure she could trust it. She couldn't help but expect him to try and push her off the tower or something. Still she did as he asked, and watched the sky for whatever it was that he expected to happen.

Then after a few minutes of standing together in comfortable silence, a falling star shot across the sky. "Oh wow," Hermione exclaimed with a big smile, "How did you know that would happen?" She asked as her gaze moved to him.

"That's not all," Draco said, "Keep watching."

She looked back at the night sky in time to see two more shooting stars fall. "A meteor shower? Oh wow," she said.

They spent the next few minutes watching as the sky became alive with meteors falling down over the horizon. She'd never seen so many at once. At one point there were so many that it was impossible to count. "This is amazing," she said in wide-eyed wonder. She looked over at Draco and realized that he was watching her, and he had a big grin on his face. "What?" She asked, "Why aren't you watching?"

"Because I'd much rather watch you," Draco admitted. His voice took on a husky tone, and his eyes darkened. He reached out and took her hand. She looked up at him just as his hand moved forward and grasped her hip, pulling her to him. "You are so beautiful," he said as he looked deep into her golden-brown eyes. Time seemed to stop for them as they stood there on the tower. His arms wrapped around her petite waist, holding her to him. Her hands rested lightly on his muscular chest.

He leaned forward slowly, tentatively, making sure she was not going to push him away. When she didn't, and actually angled her head up towards him, he went for it and closed the distance between them. His lips met hers for the first time in a soft gentle caress. Her eyes closed as the feeling of his warm lips on hers sent tingles through her. She melted into him, and his arms pulled her flush against him as he deepened the kiss.