Chapter 6

I don't know how, but Kushida and the rest have somehow convinced Sakura to testify. I wondered if the whole thing would be open to the students of the involved classes, but it turns out only a couple of students other than the eyewitness and those involved in the fight can attend. As much as I wanted to go to see firsthand how the school deals with such issues, it was ultimately decided that Ayanokouji and Horikita would be the ones to go. Considering they're the ones who've been the most involved in the case, I can't really complain. Plus, I can always ask them about the proceedings later on.

____________________

I ran into Ayanokouji and Horikita some time in the evening.

"Hey, is the trial done?"

"Well, for today. We've got until tomorrow to provide evidence of Sudou's innocence. Otherwise, he'll be given a two-week suspension for his role in the fight."

So, the result of his fight was a suspension. Interesting...

"That's not a lot of time to find anything. Do you guys have a plan?"

"We have something prepared."

"Do you need help?"

"You seem quite eager to help given your previous reluctance in identifying the eyewitness."

Horikita's still giving me a hard time for that...

"Come on, I already told you my reasoning back then. Also, if I didn't want to help, I wouldn't have confronted Sakura-san in the first place."

"I suppose that makes sense. Still, we've already got all the help we need for our plan."

"Oh, okay. How did the rest of the trial go by the way?"

They proceeded to tell me how the homeroom teachers of each class were present, along with the student council president who ultimately had the final say on the matter. From what I've gathered from everything that's gone down in this case, evidence is king in this school, and not much can be done without it.

"Well, thanks for keeping me informed. I won't take more of your time."

"Before you go, Morimoto, I'd like to ask you something."

Horikita stopped me before I could make my leave.

"Sure, go ahead."

"Why are you so interested in the details of this case?"

"What do you mean? Sudou-kun's my classmate, so of course I'd be interested. Moreover, if he receives a punishment, it'll affect the rest of us."

"That's true, but it feels like you've got some kind of ulterior motive."

Did I make a mistake and ended up showing more curiosity than usual? Either way, just because she thinks I have other reasons doesn't mean she knows those reasons.

"Hmm, I guess you could say that. However, before you ask, I don't intend on revealing the details to you."

Denying I have my own agenda would only make me seem more suspicious at this point.

"Will it end up affecting the rest of the class?"

"Now that I have information regarding Sudou-kun's case, no it won't."

"I don't particularly like how you phrased that, but I suppose there should be no issues, then. You're free to go."

I wasn't really waiting for your permission but okay.

____________________

The next day, Chabashira-sensei informed the class by email that the case was dropped, and Sudou was deemed innocent. Those two definitely played a role in the verdict, but asking them how they pulled it off seems like a pain in the ass. Well, it's not like I need to know; I'm just curious. Fortunately for me, I received the answer from an unexpected source.