Chapter 31

Knock knock

Looks like our first guest is here. Thirty minutes ahead of time.

"Hey, Hona-"

"Hisashi, what's going on?! Was it really you who did that? Is it because-"

"I know you've got a lot of questions, and I promise you'll get answers to those, but can we please wait for the others to arrive first?"

"Others?"

"Well, you're not the only one curious about this whole thing, so sit back and relax, or at least try to." 

We both sat there in silence while we waited for someone else to arrive. While it's getting a little awkward, I don't think I'm in a position to try and initiate small talk right now.

Knock knock

Thank you.

I got up to open the door for the new arrivals who were fifteen minutes ahead of schedule.

"Hey."

"Hisashi..."

"Come in. I'll explain everything once everyone's here."

They looked a little confused by my statement but seemed to understand once they saw Honami.

The four of them started chatting a bit which took away from the tense atmosphere. Still, the others won't be here for a while, I think, so I should probably address a few things.

"I'm sorry for dragging you four into this. Since you're the ones who are closest to me at this school, I'm sure everyone's been bombarding you with questions about me."

"Yeah, a lot of my classmates did ask about you, but I told them that you're a good guy despite what they might have heard. They didn't try to pry any further, probably knowing that the topic is a little sensitive."

Class B has a lot of trust in Honami, so it makes sense that they didn't push for more details. I doubt the same thing happened with my friends, though.

"What about you three?"

"Unfortunately, things didn't go as well in our class. Everyone's confused on what to think, and a lot of people believe you were the one responsible for the incident, and that you're putting the whole class at risk. We tried to explain like Ichinose did, and it worked for a few people, but, yeah..."

"Sigh, I can't really blame them."

"Wait, so you really did it?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"W-"

"You'll get the details later. I just thought I'd give you an answer to the most pressing question."

My answer was obviously not what they were hoping to hear, and I could tell that they felt some disappointment with regard to my actions.

"I-"

Knock knock knock knock knock

Something tells me that's Horikita...

"He-"

"Okay, Morimoto, what's going on?"

"Yes, feel free to barge into my room. That aside, I'm glad you brought the others. Now, everyone's here."

Sitting in my room now were Honami, Chiaki, Maya, Satsuki, Ayanokouji, Horikita, Hirata, and Sudou. Naturally, with nine people including me, it was more than a little cramped in here.

"I'm surprised you invited me, Morimoto."

"You might be out of the loop about this whole thing, but you're the most trusted guy in our class, so having you know the details and gaining your favor is essential if I want to gain back everyone's trust."