Chapter 26

"Ah, you finally caught up, and it seems quite a few of you decided to show up."

It looks like Ryuuen wasn't only trying to get to Kouenji, but rather to the rest of us as well. It wouldn't have made much of a difference if we'd caught on to his scheme, as it's best for us to be present in this situation just in case.

"Hold this in front of me."

In the middle of everything happening, Kouenji had just nonchalantly handed Ryuuen a handheld mirror and started combing his hair while staring into his reflection.

"The wind is quite strong today, so it's important to keep my hair in check, not that I wouldn't look equally as handsome with a messy haircut, mind you."

While we were used to Kouenji's theatrics, the rest of Class C just stood there in disbelief, not knowing what to make of the situation before them. To his credit, Ryuuen actually humored Kouenji for a little while... before smashing the mirror onto the floor.

"Whoops. My hand slipped."

"It can't be helped."

This is fun and all, but if we could get to the crux of the matter already, that'd be great. Thanks.

"My, my, this is quite the interesting lineup you have going there."

As if it wasn't already crowded enough, now Sakayanagi and her posse have also joined the proceedings. At this point, I'm expecting some of Honami's classmates to show up out of nowhere. Still, the timing of Class A's appearance felt a little too convenient to be called a coincidence.

"This doesn't concern you, Sakayanagi."

"Rest assured, Ryuuen. I don't plan to interrupt your fruitful discussion."

With that, Sakayanagi took a seat on a bench close by.

"I'd like to get this wrapped up soon if possible. You're after me because you believe there's someone getting in Class C's way, and I'm one of your suspects. Isn't that right, Dragon Boy?"

Dragon Boy? Kouenji's probably referring to the zodiac exam. Hmm, it does have a nice ring to it, and Sakayanagi's laughter indicates that she feel the same way.

Some more discussion transpired between Ryuuen and Kouenji, with Sakayanagi also interjecting at times. It was getting pretty drab if you ask me. That is, until...

Kick

At Sakayanagi's mention of Ryuuen's new nickname after being prohibited from saying it, Ryuuen launched a powerful kick towards Sakayanagi's head, but Hashimoto was able to block it in time. Judging by the trajectory of that kick, however, it looked like it would've just slightly grazed the top of her head. Of course, due to the situation that had just transpired, the others didn't catch on and were instead berating Ryuuen.

More talking ensued, but thankfully, it looks like Ryuuen has finally had enough of Kouenji's eccentricity and decided to call things off, and everyone dispersed.

After this latest attempt, it's safe to say that Ryuuen is doubling down on his search for the mastermind. I wonder how long Ayanokouji can stay hidden at this rate.

That aside, Ryuuen's not the only one working harder. Whoever these people who've been following me are, they've been doing so more and more frequently. At this point, confronting them seems like the best option, but they're keeping a fair bit of distance between us, and whenever I try moving towards them, they just leave. I could technically chase them down, but that doesn't seem worth the hassle, so I'll just wait for them to make their move instead.

____________________

"Hello, sir. How can I help you today?"

"Oh, I'm just looking for some Christmas gifts."