Chapter 5

There was another reason why I didn't bring up Sakura earlier.

"Wait, before you go..."

"Now what?"

"There's another reason I didn't say anything about Sakura-san earlier. Horikita-san, you also knew that Sakura-san is the eyewitness, right?"

Everyone's attention was now diverted towards Horikita.

"And, on what basis are you making this assumption?"

"When we were all asked about whether or not we witnessed the fight, I took notice of Sakura-san's reaction, and it looks like you did too."

"I see. It's true that I spotted her response back then."

"Hey, Horikita..."

"However, it was still just a guess at that point. Now that I know that you also came to the same conclusion, though, it appears I was indeed on the right track. Are you suggesting that I also kept this information hidden to take some of the blame off your back?"

It seems I've been found out.

"Well, when you put it that way, it sounds kinda bad, but yes."

Judging by how this conversation's going, I'm digging myself into an even deeper hole. I need to make a swift exit before I'm pressed any further.

"Umm, now that you've gotten what you've been looking for, I'll be on my way."

Sure, I could've handled this better, but I also could've done a lot worse, I think.

____________________

The days that followed were more of the same; everyone still has a negative opinion on Sudou, and no witnesses have stepped up yet. I'm surprised Kushida and the others weren't able to convince Sakura to testify, though. I figured considering their influence and communication skills, it was pretty doable, even taking into account Sakura's personality. I've done my part in this case, and there's really nothing else I can contribute besides having found the eyewitness, so the rest will be up to the others.

"Hey, Morimoto-kun!"

My train of thought was interrupted by Kushida. Is she here to ask me for help again?

"Kushida-san, what is it?"

"Can we have lunch together today?"

"Umm, what?"

"I'd like you to have lunch with me, that's all."

"Why me, though?"

"Consider it as thanks for finding the eyewitness."

Well, that's a big fat lie.

"Still, I don't want to disturb you and your friends, and I don't want you to spend your private points on something like this."

"Don't worry, I've still got plenty of points. Plus, you won't be disturbing anyone since it'll just be the two of us. Please, I'd really like to thank you properly for your help."

"All I did was identify Sakura-san as the witness; it's not like I got her to help out."

"You're too modest, Morimoto-kun. I'll be waiting for you at Palate, don't be late!"

I wasn't even given the chance to refuse before Kushida scurried away. I could just bail on her since I technically didn't agree to go, but I'm curious about the reason she went out of her way to set this up. 

"Could it be... a confession?" 

Haha... 

The fact I can't even entertain this option in my own head for a split second is kinda sad.