Chapter 18

All the cavalry units took their positions on the field. Hirata and Katsuragi had discussed a plan to deal with the White Team's strategy. Basically, we'll all stick together and move as one large unit. That way, the opposing team won't be able to pick us apart like they did in the girls' match.

"Begin!"

The match had officially begun, and we started assuming our planned formation. However...

"Sudou-kun! What are you doing?!"

Despite his prior agreement, Sudou charged into the opposition's territory, dragging his team which had Hirata as the jockey along with him. Judging from his trajectory, he intends to take Ryuuen head-on.

"That idiot! The rest of you stick to the plan. I'll go assist the other team."

Seeing his plans fall apart, Katsuragi followed Hirata's team to try to minimize the damage, leaving the remaining six teams behind. To make matters worse, all of the White Team's cavalry units made their way towards us, with Ryuuen the only one staying behind, presumably to face Sudou.

"N-Now what do we do?"

The rest of the Red Team's members were obviously flustered by this unexpected turn of events. Sticking to the original plan here would surely lead to our demise.

"Hey, you four, I need you to step away from the group."

"But, didn't Katsuragi tell us to stick together?"

"Sticking together when everyone's confused and with our opponents outnumbering us won't end well. We need to split up from the rest."

"I don't know, Morimoto..."

"Let's just do as he says for now. We said we'd trust him."

Despite his mistrust towards me, Miyake still chose to back me up.

"Ugh. Fine! I hope you know what you're doing."

After some arguing, my unit finally followed my instructions, and we were out of harm's way. The White Team had made it to our location and were now having an all-out brawl against the remaining units in the Red Team. Of course, since it was seven teams against five, it didn't take long for the tide to shift in the White Team's favor. One by one, the red headbands were being taken.

"Morimoto, shouldn't we help them?"

"No, we won't be able to do much in all that chaos. We'd just be asking to have my headband taken."

"Still..."

I understand their hesitation to follow my orders, but this is really for the best.

"What do we have here?"

It seems our opponents have finally noticed us standing in isolation, with two Class C units approaching us.

"M-Morimoto..."

"Relax, it's not like those two buffoons can actually do anything against us."

"What did you just say, punk?!"

Yes, get riled up. Idiots...

Falling incredibly easily to my cheap provocations, the two jockeys launched their arms towards my head. Their movements were slow and predictable, leading to me comfortably dodging their attacks and swiftly snatching both their headbands at once.

"Huh?"

"W-What the..."

That's two down, only six more to go.

The two losing teams left the field in order to not interrupt the flow of the game.

"Hold up. That was awesome!"