Chapter 29

Of course, it's never that simple, is it?

Why would it be?

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm just saying, you've got some really cute friends. It'd be a shame if something were to happen to them. Or, to your sister."

. . .

Someone's trying to pull this shit again?

"Hey, I get that you want to pick a fight with me, but leave them out of this."

"Hah! No need to give me that look. I never said I'd do anything to them. I'm just saying that if someone were trying to hurt you, they could do so by targeting your loved ones instead of you. You should be thanking me for such valuable advice instead of glaring at me like that."

As much as I'd like to avoid getting into fights, I can't afford to walk away in this case. It's one thing if this problem only affects me, but I can't get them dragged into this shit.

"Fine-"

"Perfect! I knew you'd come to your senses!"

"-On one condition."

"Hmm, and what would that be?"

If I'm forced into fighting, I might as well get some answers while I'm at it.

"Answer my question. Why are you doing all of this? What do you hope to accomplish?"

"Technically, that's two questions, but I'm a nice guy, so I'll answer anyway. The reason I'm doing all of this is to test my strength. Nothing's more thrilling than going head-to-head against a strong opponent and giving it your all. 

Actually, I take that back. There is something better: crushing your opponent.

I've already fought against quite a few second and third-year students and am now going after the tough-looking first-years based on their performances in the sports festival."

"So, you've already fought against other first-years?"

"Perhaps."

Is that how Ryuuen was aware of trouble coming my way?

"Well, I think that's enough for today, so let's wrap things up; I'm a busy man, and I'd like to make full use of the rest of my day. We'll duke it out at the same place your classmate had a fight earlier during the school year. Oh, and since it'd be a shame if our fight were to ruin your mood, we'll have the fight at 8 P.M. on the last day of winter break. That way, you'll get to enjoy your precious vacation to the fullest. Pretty good conditions, wouldn't you say?

Of course, it goes without saying that snitching on me to any faculty members or to other students won't end well for you."

"Whatever, I'm leaving."

"Have fun during the rest of your vacation, Morimoto!"

Once I was out of sight, I took a few deep breaths.

Okay, calm down, calm down. 

This isn't like last time. 

You're not gonna lose your shit and go too hard.

Relax. You've got time to prepare.

Okay...

Now that I've calmed down, I need to think strategy. I don't think I'd lose to this guy, but getting cocky will only make things harder for me. First of all, I need some intel. The guy didn't even give me his name, so asking around isn't an option. Plus, he warned me not to alert anyone else, so I can't go around asking people questions blindly.