Chapter 20

"A-A girl you like?! What the heck, Hisashi?!"

I was afraid she'd react like that, but I did promise to tell her what my item was.

"L-Listen, Maya. I get that you're upset, but I didn't have much of a choice. If I had asked for a redraw, we would've definitely finished last in the scavenger hunt. Not that it matters since we finished last overall, but that's besides the point." 

"Not helping..."

"Come on, no one will ever know about this. Other than the guy who was in charge of the event."

I should really learn to keep some things to myself...

Maya still looks annoyed. It doesn't seem like she's angry, but she's definitely not over it. I can't say I blame her, though. It was pretty deceptive of me, even if the whole thing isn't really that big of an issue.

"Sigh. I'm sorry. You're right, I shouldn't have kept that hidden from you. How about this? I'll treat you to lunch at any place you like, and you're free to order anything you want. That seems like a sweet deal, wouldn't you say?"

I've gotten a good amount of private points from the festival, so it won't negatively impact my balance.

Maya looks to have calmed down a little.

"I know you didn't have any bad intentions or anything, but you do realize why I'm upset, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, whatever. It's fine. I will take that free lunch, though."

"Fair enough."

With that, one of the most eventful days of my high school life so far has come to an end.

____________________

A few days had now passed since the festival, and something unusual has been happening since then.

"Hello, Morimoto-kun!"

"Hello."

I don't know who that girl was, and she's not the first one who's greeted me today. Ever since the festival, random girls have been doing the same for some reason.

"Ahh, looks like you've got another fan, Hisashi."

While I was confused about those occurrences, my friends seemed aware of the reason behind them and were taking the opportunity to tease me.

"Okay, it's already been a few days. Can you please just tell me what this is all about already?"

"Huh, you really don't have any clue?"

"None."

"Well, you really stood out during the cavalry battle in the sports festival, and you're pretty attractive, so it's no wonder that girls are paying attention to you."

"Yeah, you even ranked in the top five in the ikemen list."

I had just received a lot of new and unexpected information.

"Ikemen list? Wait, more importantly, I'm considered attractive?"

The three of them looked at me like they thought I was joking.

"The ikemen list is basically a ranking of the first-year guys based on hotness. Quite a few girls have voted in these rankings, so they're pretty reliable. There are also other lists where we rank guys based on humor, who we think should die, and so on."

I don't think you can just gloss over that last part... Hopefully I don't rank too high up on that list.

"Anyway, did you not know that you've got good looks, Hisashi? Surely you've been confessed to at some point."