Chapter 3: Scars

"Save it," I replied.

He continued to stare at me and I felt myself get really hot, "You look... so d-" I cut him off.

"What different? Because I wasn't up to the standards of beauty before?" I asked a little irritated.

"No...uh. That's not what I meant," he said stunned.

"What did you mean?" I spat.

"Look, Arden I'm not who I was before and I've changed."

"How am I suppose to believe that?" I hissed, "I'm not looking to make friends or any boyfriends. Especially, with someone like you," I replied with hurt and anger.

"Arden, I never meant to hurt you..." he said with guilt in his eyes. But, I ignored it, because I always fell for it and he always ended up joining in with the crowd.

"Besides I'm here because..." I stopped myself from telling him the real reason why, "Never mind." I added.

He gave me a concerned look and said, "What is it?"

"Nothing." I lied.

"Ar-" he was cut off by Mr. Hannegan.

"Okay, class as you know we are going to be doing a project, and I started to talk a little bit about it yesterday," Mr. Hannegan said, "Arden you weren't here, and this is a partner project. You can be Johnathan's partner since he was absent yesterday and doesn't have one," he added.

I felt my stomach drop and I took a deep breath.

"You think you can catch Ms. Woods up?" Mr. Hannegan asked Johnathan.

"Yes, Sir." Johnathan with a nod.

"Well, I guess we're partners," Johnathan said with a smile.

I turned to look at him and said, "I guess so..."

"Well, the project is on different cell types and we have to come up with an oral presentation..." he said, "We also have to make a chart with drawings of the different cell types."

I nodded my head, "Okay."

Johnathan looked at me and said, "So, um who's house..."

I looked at him and cocked an eyebrow, "How about yours and we'll switch off?"

"Sure." he agreed.

"Okay, then it's set. Just so you know we're are going to be strictly partners. We don't need to be friends." I said and saw a hint of pain in Johnathan's eyes.

"Arden, I never wanted to hurt you. I ju-"

"Partners and that's it." I stated, "Meet me outside, and we'll walk to my house." I said plainly, and left.

---------

Johnathan's P.O.V

I was left there, sitting speechless and stunned. I still couldn't believe that it was Arden, and it was her who I saw yesterday walking by my house. It seemed as if she was avoiding me yesterday and during lunch.

Arden looked so different and I couldn't help but to stare at her.

I made my way outside and found Arden sitting under the big oak tree right near the school. She was leaning against it and had her eyes closed; as if she was dreaming about something. Her long black hair was blowing in the wind and her pale skin was darkened by the shadow of the oak tree.

I made my way over to her and sat next to her, and tapped her on her shoulder, "Ready?" I asked.

She opened her eyes and revealed her stunning blue, and green eyes, "I was hoping you would take longer," she sighed disappointingly, "Ready?" she asked plainly.

"You don't seem that excited to be working with me?" I gave her a slight smile, and got up from the grass.

She looked up and tilted her head, "What do you think?" she said sarcastically.

"Listen, I'm not who I was before and I've changed," he said, "I was so stupid before and I was just trying to fit in. Can you forgive me?" he asked.

------------

Arden's P.O.V

I looked up at him and squinted my eyes, "Forgive?" I asked stunned.

"Yea..." he said gently.

I got up and faced him, "Forgive!?" I shouted, "You know stuff happens when you're a kid; it scars you inside for life." I hissed.

"Arden, I always felt guilty about what I did and for years I wished I could've changed it!" he argued.

"Well, why didn't you do anything then? Huh?" I asked, "You knew...I had a cru-" I stopped myself.

"What? What is it?" he asked.

"Nothing!" I yelled as I tried to walk away.

Johnathan caught up to me and stopped me, "Arden, what?"

I looked him in the eyes and said, "You knew I like you, and still hurt me."

"You did?" he said surprised.

"Oh, come on Johnathan," I said annoyed.

"I didn't." he said.

"It was obvious." I replied, "You hurt me..." I added and showed him the scars on my arms from when I was tripped, and badly hurt

His eyes observe my arm and he gingerly touches them I pull away immediately and feel like tears are going to come out, "Arden...I'm sorry." he said quietly.

"I doesn't even matter anymore. I don't care." I replied plainly.

"If you didn't care, then why did I see you in front of my house and why did you ignore me?" he asked, "Why didn't you say anything?" he added.

"Because...I thought you were probably the same Johnathan. The same one who hurt me, who was my friend in secrecy and the one who was afraid to like someone who wasn't up to par with what was considered 'beauty'." I said painfully.

"Arden, give me a chance to prove to you that I'm not that same person, and you'll see that all that was in the past." he pleaded.

"Then what?" I asked.

"I don't know. But maybe we could try, and be friends." he said, "The way friends are suppose to be" he added.

"I've got to go. We'll start the project start the project tomorrow."

"Arden!" he shouted as I walked away, and headed home.

I wasn't here to make friends. I was only here for on thing, and only one thing; my father.

-----------

Dear Readers,

Sorry, I took so long to get this chapter up. I hope you like it, and please tell me what you think!

Sincerely, Ana XD