Chapter 28: Day By Day

I stared out the window, as we drove towards the hospital, and I couldn't bear the thought of seeing my dad being in the state he's in.

     My heart felt heavy, my hands were shaky, and my eyes were becoming clouded with tears. Not, only was I afraid of seeing my Dad, but, I was afraid of what could've been with Jonathan.

     The car stopped, and I took a deep breath in and exhaled. I looked over at Jonathan, and gently nodded my head, "Thanks..." I whispered, and went to step out of the car.

     "Arden, wait..." Jonathan said, as he gently grabbed my shoulder.

     I turned to him, and looked at him right in the eyes, "Thanks," I said plainly, and stepped out of the car and closed the door.

     I walked up to the secretary, and leaned on to the desk, "I need Larry Woods room number," I said hurriedly, and as polite as I could.

     "Are you related?" the woman who looked like she was in her mid-twenties, and had brown hair said.

     "I'm his daughter, and I really need to see him," I insisted.

     "Arden!" I heard someone call me, and I turned to see my mom standing there, and she had tears running down her face.

     I ran up to her, and enveloped her in a big hug, "Oh, Mom..." I said in tears, "How is he?" I asked desperately.

     She broke the hug, she had tears in her eyes, and stood there silent, "Just come..."

---------------------

     Me, and my Mom walked into the small hospital room, and I couldn't breathe when I say my dad laying there motionless.

     "You should talk to him," my mother said, and gently rubbed my shoulders.

     I looked up at her, "What should I say..." I whispered.

     "They say that they can here you," my mother smiled,"Go on. I'll be right out there." she assured me, and walked out the door, and quietly closed the door.

     I made my way towards a chair, pulled it up beside the hospital bed, and sat down. I sat there looking at him, with an oxygen mask strapped on his face, and dressed in a hospital gown. I could see his chest rising and falling with every breath he took, and a small part of me was happy about that. That he was actually breathing.

     But for how long? I thought.

     "Dad...?" I croaked out, "I don't... know what to say," I sobbingly chuckled. I grabbed his hand, and started to rub it gently. I could still smell his usual musky smell, and the notes of his usual cologne.

     "You know this hasn't really struck me yet, and it's a day by day process..." I said painfully, "I wish... you could talk to me," I started to sob.

     I looked up at the ceiling, and took a deep breath, "I'm sorry, Dad. I really am, and I regret not speaking to you," I weeped, "I was so... stupid," I said with clenched teeth, and my tears were steadily running down my face, "This is what I didn't want to see, but, this is what you wanted, and... I don't want to see you suffer anymore. Not even for me..."

     Then, I really started to cry, and the sob racked my body so bad that I couldn't sit up any longer. I laid my head on the bed next to him, and kept my hand around his tightly.

----------------------

     Jonathan's P.O.V.

     I slowly walked into the hospital waiting room, and saw Ms. Woods sitting there in deep thought. I wasn't sure of what I was doing there, but, I just wanted to make sure that Arden was okay.

     I walked over to Ms. Woods, and she looked up at me in surprise, "Jonathan?" she asked curiously, "What're you doing here?" I added.

     I sat down in the chair next to her, and started to play with my fingers, "I just wanted to make sure that Arden was okay..." I replied.

     Ms. Woods shifted her body towards me, and laid her arm on the arm rest, "Hopefully everything is going to be okay," she said, as if she was trying to convince her, and she gently smiled.

     "Oh..." I nodded my head.

     "What's wrong?" she asked.

     "Things with Arden are..." I broke off, and didn't know what to say.

     Ms. Woods tilted her head, and looked me in the eyes, "What's wrong?"

     I sighed heavily, "Well, something happened..." I replied, "Something really bad, and Arden believes it was me, and now... she won't even look at me," I explained.

     Ms. Woods shifted in her seat, and sighed, "Listen, Arden is just going through a lot, and I know it's hard for her to be committed," she said, "Arden, jumps when she feels betrayed, and it's just the way she is," she explained.

     I looked down at the floor, and contemplated what I was going to do, "I think that has a lot to do with me..." I whispered.

     "I'm sure she just needs time, and then maybe she'll realize that it wasn't you," she said, "I don't know."

     "Yea..." I gently nodded my head.

     "Listen, I could tell that she's been happier with you around." She stated with a small smile.

     I looked up at her confused, "How do you know?"

     She tilted her head in a knowing way, "The day I came back from the spa, she seemed happier than usual, and your Mom called me," she replied, "She told me that you were spending a lot of time at my house, and she thanked me for the syrup," she smiled.

     I looked at her in shock, and chuckled nervously, "Sorry..."

     "Don't be. I was just glad to see her like that. I haven't seen her that happy in a long time."

     I gave her a small smile, and looked at her in disbelief, "I make her... happy?" I asked.

     Ms. Woods simply gave me a smile and said, "You should go home."

     "Okay..., thanks." I smiled, and got up and walked out of the hospital.

---------------------

Dear Readers,

     Tell me what you guys think! Comment and vote. I'll write more tomorrow, and I'll probably be finished with this story in a couple of days!

QOTN: Do you think Arden and Jonathan end up together?

Sincerely, Ana XD