Chapter 23: Where's The Syrup?

I climbed out of my bed, and I climbed out of my window carefully; so I didn't wake up Jonathan. I carefully walked onto the roof, sat down, and pulled my knees to my chest. I looked up to the moon, and felt the cool breeze hit my skin.

     I couldn't sleep. I was thinking about tomorrow, when my parents come back, and what I would say to my dad.

     That I was wrong, or, that I'm sorry... I don't know... I just don't want to see him die in front of me. I thought.

     These past couple of days, Jonathan has taken my mind off of everything, and it's been great. I've laughed and smiled more than I ever have.

     I was startled by the sound of my window opening, and saw Jonathan climb out. He glanced at me, and carefully walked over to me and sat down.

     "What's wrong?" Jonathan asked curiously.

     I turned my head towards him, "Nothing..." I whispered.

     Jonathan tilted his head, and said, "Nobody, comes out here to glance at the moon for nothing."

     I shrugged my shoulders, "Okay," I replied, "It's something."

     I felt Jonathan's eyes on me, and I turned to see him looking at me with concern, "Your father?" he simply said.

     "Yea..." I sighed.

     "Thinking about talking to him?"

     "Yea," I replied feeling tears forming.

     Jonathan gently wrapped his arm around me, and gently stroked my arm with his fingers, "I'm pretty sure he understands why you were so angry," Jonathan replied.

     I simply nodded my head at him, and we sat there in silence for about a minute, "My dad always had a saying," I said breaking the silence, "He said 'When it's dark, look for stars and when it rains, look for rainbows," I smiled at the memory.

     "And then if I'm lost, I should look for you," Jonathan smiled, and I smiled back.

     "I'm afraid you'll get more lost..." I whispered, looking up at him through my lashes.

     Jonathan looked down at me with a hint of a smile, "I'm already lost in you..."

     I arched an eyebrow at him, "Man, I must've hit you pretty hard, if you want to get lost with me," I chuckled.

     "No, I've felt like this for a while..." he whispered gently.

     I started to shiver a little, I tried to warm myself, and I rub my legs; in an effort to keep warm, "Maybe, we should go back in," Jonathan smiled.

     I nodded my head, and I walked to the window, "Why should you go first?" Jonathan asked playfully.

     "Because I'm a lady, that's why." I said cheekily.

     Jonathan smiled, and we both climbed through the window. We climbed back into the bed, and Jonathan pulled me back into his comforting embrace.

----------------

     I wake up to sun streaming in from the window, and I rub my eyes in effort to wake up. I stretched my body, and realize that Jonathan's arms are still wrapped around me. I look up at his peaceful face, admiring his tousled hair and the rhythm of his breathing.

     I gently remove his arm, I slowly get up, slip on my bunny slippers and release my hair from it's elastic; causing it to gently cascade down my chest.