Chapter 10: Compromising Position

Since my chat with Johnathan on the roof, I've been thinking about things and maybe I have been a little selfish. I hate to admit, but, Johnathan did have a point, and a very good point it was...

I entered the doors of Castle Rock high, and went to my locker. When I was done putting some stuff away, I turned and saw Johnathan walking down the hallway with a friend. Our eyes connected for a second, and then I looked away once I saw Kate give me a dirty look. I turned and quickly made my way to my first class.

I haven't seen Johnathan since our talk, and I wasn't sure how I felt when I looked at him. I think I have mixed emotions. I mean our talk made me see him differently, and then there's that nagging memory of what he did. Then, there is what almost happened in the car, and I can't help but feel almost disappointed that it didn't happen.

-----------

Johnathan's P.O.V,

I don't know how differently Arden sees me, however, I just hope that she just sees something good in me.

Our conversation on Saturday made me see Arden in a different light, and seeing her feel such strong emotion made me want to comfort her. Then, there was that almost kiss, and I kept replaying it over and over in my head. I didn't kiss her because she was upset, angry and drunk. I didn't want to do anything that she might regret, or I might regret.

"Johnathan!" I heard someone whine, and I was immediately taken from my deep thoughts.

I looked over and saw Kate trailing behind, "Yea?"

"Mind if I come by today?" she asked hopefully.

"Uh...I kind have to work on a project with A-"

"Arden...right?" she said cutting me off, and gave me a disgusted look.

"Yea." I confirmed.

"Well, I just need to borrow your history book and that's it." she stated.

With you Kate it's never that simple. I thought.

I stopped at my first period doorway and said, "Sure."

"Great!" she exclaimed.

--------

I made my way to my usual lunch spot, and pulled out my sandwich. I was enjoying the peace and quiet. Until, someone sat down next to me, and said, "Is this spot taken?"

I looked over to my right to see Derek, and I immediately rolled my eyes, "Actually yes there was a squirrel a few seconds ago." I said sarcastically.

"I think you'd enjoy my company better." he tried to say smoothly, however, it was a fail.

"No, I prefer the squirrel." I said, "Because it has more nuts than you." I smiled, and took a bite out of my sandwich.

"Ouch. What happened to the girl who danced on the table on Saturday?" he said while trying to get closer to me.

"Even If I was still that drunk. I still wouldn't do you." I said, and got up.

Before I could go any further I felt a hand stop me, "Hey, I was talking to you!" Derek yelled.

I turned to look at him and said, "Yea, well I'm done talking to you." I pulled my arm away, and he grabbed me, and pulled me behind some shrubbery.

"You know how many other girl's would love to be with me?" he said angrily.

"Get off of me!" I yelled, and Derek started to grope me.