Chapter 9: Midnight Revelations

I stumbled my way through the front door, and was about to go upstairs when I was stopped by the sound of my dad's voice, "Arden Rose Woods where were you?" he said concerned.

I turned my head, and gave him an exasperated expression, "Dad...I'm t...ired I'm gonna go to sleep." I stumbled.

"Arden were you drinking?"

"Dad I'm fine..." I said annoyed, "Unlike some people," I said obviously meaning him.

"Arden I'm so-"

"Dad... I don't want to talk about this," I said trying not to cry.

"When can we talk?" he said emotionally.

"We can talk when I don't feel so completely out of my mind, and when you realize that you're wrong about the treatment." I said, and headed upstairs.

"Arden!" I heard my father shout after me.

I ignored him, and slammed my door. By then the tears started to stream down my face, and I couldn't breathe anymore. So, I opened my bedroom window, and climbed out of it. I sat down on the roof of the house, and put my knees up.

I felt the cool breeze whip my hair around me, and I felt the loneliness within the dark sky.

Why couldn't he understand how I felt? It's not selfish of me to want him to stay alive. Is it?

I sat in the silence of the dark abyss for five minutes, and was interrupted by a familiar voice, "Arden...? Are you okay?" I heard the voice say.

I turned to see Johnathan leaning out of his window, and his blonde hair whipping in the breeze. I just looked at him with tears streaming down my face, and his eyes softened at the sight, "What's wrong?"

I leaned my head on my knees for a second, and turned my head to him, "I...Oh who gives a fuck anyways!" I cried.

Johnathan climbed out of his window, and onto the roof of his house, and sat down on the edge. He sat there, and twiddled with his thumbs. The only sound you could hear was the sound of my sobs echoing through the silence, "Talk to me..." he gently said.

I looked over at him, and narrowed my eyes at him, "Damn it Johnathan!" I screamed, "Why do you care...? Why...?" I cried.

"Maybe I could help..."

"All you would do is cause trouble, and I don't need that," I hissed.

Johnathan shifted on the edge of the roof, "Why do you constantly push me away?" he said annoyed, "Do you do this with everyone who tries to be your friend?" he added.

"And what you were always a friend to me?" I shot back.

"You'll never let me live that down will you?"

I looked up at him, and said, "Do you think I could forget what you did to me?"

"Arden I'm not that same person..." he said gently.

"Neither am I..." I whispered, and wiped at my tears.

"I know..." he whispered, "But you're still the Arden I know."

I looked at him confused, "How?"

"Because you were never afraid to cry, and you were always different." he said, "That's the Arden that will never change."

I looked away from him, and out into the darkness. I saw the branches of the trees sway in the breeze, and the fullness of the moon shine.

"So, what's wrong?"