Chapter 22: Facing Fear

Blake POV

I couldn't believe it at first, Yang having mercilessly harmed another student at what was thought to be the end of the match. As of now, we are all instructed to return to our dorm rooms and wait for further instructions. Not before long, General Ironwood made his entrance grand to our dorm with two Atleasian Knights accompanying him outside.

Ironwood: "Stand guard." The droids complied, standing adjacent to the doorway before Ironwood shut the door. "I'm sorry, but you left us with no choice. "

Yang: "But he attacked me!"

Ironwood: "Video footage and millions of viewers say otherwise."

Weiss: "But Yang would never do that."

Ruby: "Yeah!" At that moment, Yang sighed and tilted her head with overwhelming disbelief, her hands shielding her face. I looked away at her sight and kept it.

Ironwood: "You all seem like good students. And the staff here at Beacon are fully aware that you would never lash out the way you did... under normal circumstances. But I believe, and hope is to be nothing more than the result of stress and adrenaline. When you're out on the battlefield, your judgment can be clouded in an instant. Sometimes you see things that simply aren't there. Even after the fight has passed."

Yang: "But I wasn't–"

Ironwood: "That's enough!" Silence filled the room at his command and only continued when the quiet was broken by the sounds of his readjusting footfalls. "The sad truth is... whether it was an accident... or an assault... it doesn't matter. The world saw you attack an innocent student. They've already drawn their conclusions and it's my job to inform you that... you're disqualified."

Yang: "You guys believe me... right?"

Ruby: "Duh!"

Weiss: "You're hot-headed, but not ruthless."

Yang: "Blake?" I thought about it for a moment, how fast she had transitioned, the shot that vertebrates throughout the arena. It all felt too real to be a lie.

Blake: "I want to believe you... "

Ruby: "Huh?"

Weiss: "What's that supposed to mean?!" I can see the betrayal in Yang's eyes as they widen, tears quickly welling up in her eyes. A sight I couldn't bear looking for long

Yang: "Blake...?"

Weiss: "How can you say something like that? Yang would never lie to us." I glanced at her, letting off a courageous sigh to explain my reasoning.

Blake: "I had someone very dear to me change. It wasn't in an instant... it was gradual. Little choices that begin to pile up. He told me not to worry. At first, they were 'accidents'... then it was 'self-defense'... before long even I thought that he was right. This is all just... very familiar... but you're not him and you have never done anything like this before. So... I want to trust you. I will trust you. But first, you need to look me in the eyes and tell me that he attacked you. I need you to promise me that you regret having to do what you did."

She wiped away her tears with a relieved look, smiling while saying the words.

Yang: "I saw him attack me, so I attacked back." Hearing Yang's genuine words put a smile on my face, having rekindled my trust back in her.

Blake: "Okay. Thank you."

Yang: "I think I'm going to rest up."

Blake: "We'll get out of your hair." We all made sure to leave, closing the door behind us.

Weiss: "This is a mess."

Jaune: "She doing okay?" Across from us stood Team JNPR, all equally concerned for Yang.