Chapter 27: Pick Your Poison

Blake POV

The bell's toll chimed when the ship docked with all its passengers ready to leave after their long voyage awaited their family or vacation. I could see Sun's awe and hesitant look from (Y/N) as he lagged behind us when we started walking within the marketplace. A few humans can be seen conversing here and there, but the populace mainly consisted of faunus which was expected for Menagerie.

Sun: "I've never seen so many faunus in one place!"

(Y/N): "Well, when the humans had to segregate the faunus, they figured this was the best place. A small remote island that is a haven for faunus everywhere and even humans that sympathize with faunus. Everyone's safe here no matter your identity."

Sun: "You sure know a lot about this place."

(Y/N): "I've... done my research my first time going here. Did you not read where you were going when boarding the ship?" Sun let off a nervous chuckle.

Sun: "Sure is crowded, huh?" A slight sigh escaped me, having been annoyed by Sun's comment.

Blake: "Yes. Yes, it is." The streets were as disorganized as I had left them. It was truly peaceful for a change, seeing the familiar neighborhood and faces as we passed by. However, (Y/N) seemed too at ease for someone that is wanted for his previous crime the last time he visited, that he is pushing all of his anxiety behind his blank poker face. "Are you okay, (Y/N)?"

(Y/N): "Huh? What do you mean? I'm doing fine, thank you." He flashed me a slight smile, putting my doubts at hand as we walked.

Blake: "If you say so..." Sun narrowly avoided a civilian who wasn't exactly paying any attention to us while carrying a box.

Sun: "Is it always so... cramped?"

Blake: "Well, when you try and take an entire species and put them on an island that is two-thirds desert, yeah, it tends to be cramped."

Sun: "What?!" Sun pushed passed (Y/N) as he gave an agitated glare at the monkey faunus when he got up in my face. "You guys have that much more space. Why waste it? A little desert never hurt anyone."

(Y/N): "As much as it is free real estate for everyone, the wildlife is more dangerous juxtaposed to the other kingdoms. That and there aren't many huntsmen here. Police and soldiers are present, but that can only do so much when most of the populace doesn't want to fight. Even if they did, they would more than likely contribute towards fighting in the White Fang."

Sun: "So, they gave us a terrible island on the corner of Remnant to try and shut us up."

Blake: "That's a pretty good summary, yeah."

Sun: "Huh... jerks. No offense."

(Y/N): "Like I care about your opinion." The three of us continued through the streets, climbing the flight of stairs before arriving at my block.

Blake: "Even so, we tried to make the best of things." Now below us stood the view of the neighborhood where I grew up. Sun was in awe at the view while (Y/N) remained stoic as he looked off straight at my house.

Sun: "Whoa..."

Blake: "This is Kuo Kuana."

(Y/N): "Still looks as dashing as ever."

Sun: "This place looks great! I take it all back. Why would anyone ever want to leave." Both me and (Y/N) looked at Sun as he kept his ever-present smile.

Blake: "That's not the point, Sun. We asked to be equal, to be treated like everyone else. Instead, we were given an island and told to make do. So, we did the best we could. We came together and we made a home where any faunus could feel welcome. But this island, this tow, will always be a reminder that we're still not equal. That we're still second-class citizens."