𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 4

First days suck

First days suck. First days of high school seriously suck. First days of high school as a senior from the other side of the country who is transferring in October suck the absolute most. Monday morning had dawned early with cold wind blowing in from the window you had forgotten to close before falling asleep. On top of that, the frigid breeze blowing in had pulled you out of the same dream you had had the night before. You had been standing on the beach and staring into Eddie's brown eyes in the light of the moon when you gasped into consciousness and cold.

Of course, you had woken up five minutes before your alarm was supposed to go off, and there was no point in trying to regain those few precious moments. After dressing and getting ready, you made Max and yourself a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee. You made a mental note to be sure to go by the store and pick up a few other things. Your mom had left far earlier for her first job of the day, but she had also left an envelope of lunch money on the table along with a note wishing you well on your first day and a heart.

When you had talked to the office last week, they had instructed you to come in early for your schedule. Max walked you there, and then said she would wait outside to walk you to your first class. At least you would know one person today, you thought to yourself as you went in to meet Ms. Kelly, the school counselor.

She warmly welcomed you into her room and reached her hand in greeting. "Hi Y/N! I'm Ms. Kelly! Welcome to Hawkins High School! We're so happy to have you!"

"Thanks," you smiled in return and sat down. She pulled out a folder and began sorting through it.

"Ok, so here is your schedule, a map, and a few forms that we'll need your mom to sign," she explained, going through each document.

You frowned. "Can I just sign them if I'm eighteen?"

"Is there are reason your mom can't sign them?" she inquired. Her knowing gaze shifted from the papers in front of her to your face.

"No!" you interjected. A counseling session was the last thing you needed before what was sure to be a very very long day. "I just figured it's easier since I'm here right now and can just get them done."

She nodded. "Well, yes, I suppose we could do that. Here is the acknowledgement of your transcripts from your previous school, and here is the notice that you'll need to complete fifty service hours in order to graduate, and here is—"

"Excuse me? Fifty hours?" you shouted. "I've already done two hundred for the National Honor Society in California! I literally helped to repave a forest!"

"That sounds thrilling! But, unfortunately, in order to graduate within the state, you need to complete the hours within the state of Indiana. That forest wasn't in Indiana, was it?"

"No, it was in the Sierra Nevadas. We spent a week picking up garbage, taking out non-native species, and restructuring the paths," you explained. It was actually a pretty enjoyable service job, but you needed a job way more than you needed to volunteer.