𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 25

Down a winding and tree-lined street, there stood a beautiful house that fulfilled the dream of the man who had purchased it for his family

Down a winding and tree-lined street, there stood a beautiful house that fulfilled the dream of the man who had purchased it for his family. After surviving the beaches of Normandy, he'd been granted a great fortune upon the death of his wife's wealthy uncle, and decided to move his family to a town so quiet and serene as to wash away the years of bloodshed and battle. The man's name was Victor, and he had a wife, Virginia, and two children, a boy named Henry and a daughter named Alice.

The house was an old Victorian that was revivified shortly before their arrival. While the house itself was weathered to a dark grey, the façade was frosted in white trim which lightened the aspect of the charming home. With a tall tree in the front yard and a white porch which wrapped around the outside like lace on a dress, it seemed the dream home of any young man in search of a new life for his family. Most remarkable by all was the front door. Set within a grand maple frame was a stained-glass window depicting a single red rose. From the outside, the scarlet glass caught the attention of passersby. To those within the home, the light burst in to illuminate the flower as if it were not piece of art but a living plant.

However dream-like the home may have seemed, it quickly turned into a house of horror for the perfect little family within. You see, not long after the family had moved in, the most tragic of events befell the residents which has haunted Hawkins ever since.

"Wait, is this a real place?" Dustin interrupted Eddie's story with a quizzical look on his face. Eddie sighed at the interruption.

Mike jumped in as well. "Is this really the most terrible event that has happened in Hawkins? I can think of a few—"

"Yes, it is a real place, and yes, up until the mall fire and the government lab disaster it was the most haunting event in town!" Eddie was breathing heavily and clearly quite frustrated at the interruption. You covered your mouth with your hand and avoided eye contact to stifle the laughter building inside of your throat. "Now, would you shut up and listen?" he growled out, and Dustin held his hands up before miming a zipper across his lips. "Now. As I was saying..."

One fateful night, the family had just sat down to dinner like they would any other evening. But that dinner was to be the last they would ever have as a family or that would be held in that house. Victor Creel, a war hero, an upstanding citizen, and a typical American dad, slaughtered his entire family. He started with his wife, and then his daughter, and finally, his son. Worst of all, not only did he murder them, but he carved out their eyeballs, and no one has ever been able to find them.

The party around the table exchanged disgusted glances. Eddie really had gone all out on this special campaign, including the little model he had made of the haunted house in question.

"Your task, oh dear company of Hellfire, is to find what it is within the house that caused Victor Creel to undertake such a dastardly deed and to cleanse the house from the evil he has wrought! So, what do you say?" Eddie leaned back in the chair with his hands folded under his chin. It might not have been his throne, but he acted no differently, and it impacted you just the same. You couldn't help biting your lip and admiring how he fully embraced his role as dungeon master.