𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 12

All of the joy and excitement which had filled you after talking and kissing and feeling whole and complete fell from your heart and splattered on your feet

All of the joy and excitement which had filled you after talking and kissing and feeling whole and complete fell from your heart and splattered on your feet. Mom was sitting at the table with several beer cans next to her. She had positioned an ash tray in front of her, and you could see that it contained a healthy number of butts. Following her instructions, you sat down at the table. Deciding to try and play it cool, you tried to remain nonchalant. "Hey mom. What's up," you asked. Damn. That was more awkward than you were around Eddie.

"What is up missy is that you have been out all night with that degenerate trailer trash Munson. What the hell were you doing with that hellion?" Her face was flushed, and dark circles ringed her once bright eyes. You knew that she had to be exhausted after working all week, and you hadn't really had a chance to let her know about everything that had happened Friday with Matt.

"We just went for a walk," you replied in an attempt to be as honest as possible.

"That boy is no good." She shook her head. "He will ruin you, Y/N."

"Mom, he's actually really nice. He drove Max and I to school last week, fixed my car, and got me a job. Plus, he's actually pretty funny. I know that he gives off a whole 'evil metal dude' attitude, but that's not who he really is. Once you get to know him—"

"How does Matt feel about you getting to know him," she interrupted.

"I don't know, but it doesn't really matter since Matt and I aren't together anymore." You watched her face fall.

"What did you do? Why would you let a boy like that go?" A desperate tone invaded her voice.

"Mom, he's the one who broke up with me by having his mom call and ask for his shit back." Her face flinched when you swore. Even though she did it plenty enough, when you or Max let one slip in front of her, she never seemed to like it. "And things have been ending with him for a while. He thought I was cheating on him with a freshman that I'm tutoring, and he couldn't even let me explain myself."

Mom looked away from you. "He's a good boy, Y/N. He'll have a really good job with the army once he graduates. You could have been a part of that. Now you're throwing away your future for some perverted freak." She turned back to look at you and reached her hands across the table to take hold of yours. "Is this the future you want for yourself?" She gestured around the trailer. "You know what will happen. He'll get you pregnant, neither of you will finish school, you'll move in either here or across the way and never leave. You could have so much more for yourself." The realization of her fears dawned on you. She didn't want you to have the life she was currently leading.

"Mom, first of all, Matt is fine person, sure. But he was honestly a shitty boyfriend. I don't want to just be somebody's wife. I have my own dreams and my own desires, and now I can go anywhere I want to pursue them. I'm not limited to New York or picking my career to fit his lifestyle." You paused to take a breath. "And, Eddie and I are just getting to know one another. I passed Health with flying colors, so we'll be careful if it even gets to that place." Again, you were telling the truth, but you did make a mental note to get an appointment to get on some form of birth control.