Chapter Twenty

George feels sick.

He could pretend that he ate something bad, or that his body's not adjusting well to the winter weather. But every time he looks at a very specific blond, he's reminded that he'd be lying and that he's a horrible liar.

They practice the whole day before driving to Brighton, the tension resurfacing after every song. For once, it pains him that their album was written to be something that you can listen to no matter what you're going through, so there's a few lyrics here and there that seemingly mock him and his situation.

Karl sends him a worried look, he ignores it in favour of singing the lyrics the bitter part of himself he's ashamed of wrote almost a year ago.

"It's almost 6, let's stop for now, we need to get ready anyways.", Bad comments, popping in from their studio's door.

George nods, rushing out of the room. He hears someone follow him but doesn't dare to look back at who it was.

Rushing to the little break room they have, he dramatically flops on the leather sofa.

"George, you good my guy?"

He stays quiet for a bit, then shivers.

"As good as someone who faked date an annoying bastard to make his best friend jealous, fell in love with the said annoying bastard, and is now stuck not knowing what to do because everything went according to plan except for me falling in love-", he stops, looking at Quackity who could only blink in surprise. "... As good as someone in that situation could get, I guess."

"So that's what's happening huh… I'm guessing that's why Dream snuck out from your grandma's house?"

George only hums, feeling himself tear up.

"Oh, George… you're way too impatient for your own good."

The brunet scoffs, finding Quackity's direct and mean words comforting. It was a nice contrast to people treating him as if he were made of the most fragile glass.

"Tell me about it.", he says, shuffling to face Quackity. Before he could even adjust himself properly, the black-haired man sits on his legs.

"Get off, idiot.", George laughs out, trying to push the other off. Quackity only sticks his tongue out, before letting him pull his legs up.

"Well, what are you gonna do now?"

"I… I don't know, honestly."

He watches Quackity lean back, pursing his lips. The man suddenly shoots up, slapping his knee.

"Dude! I thought of something dramatic we could do!"

Soon enough, George gets ready, trying to not show the grin creeping upon his face. Quackity is very obviously excited, whispering something to Karl who also brightens up.

He puts on a familiar mustard sweater, rolling up the sleeves so they don't get in the way of his performance.

"Why do you smell of nicotine, I thought you hated smoking?"

George glances at Sapnap, who was busy changing clothes as well.

"Ah, yeah. It's probably because of my sweater."

The drummer turns at him, observing his outfit and nodding. Awkwardly, they sit in silence for a bit before Sapnap starts talking again.

"Joseph told me about the date thing… he really sucks at communicating, huh."

George could only blink, hands slowing down from styling his hair.

"Ah… yeah. You've been made aware of him… kissing me, then?"