Chapter Thirty One

"When?" Aemond growled.

"After the succession is settled, I swear," Aesira promised Aemond. She shook her head to clear the fog. The sound of his growling reminded her a little too much of the moans he'd made the night before. "Everyone is a little distracted right now."

"The seat should just be given to Lord Vaemond, and be done with this." Aemond sighed and pursed his lips.

She gave him an incredulous stare, stepping out of his arms, "And how long have you been in the business of disinheriting named Heirs?"

His face tightened. "Your precious—"

"Good morrow, my Lady, my Prince." Alis said quickly as she slipped into the Chambers, her footsteps silent, "You're about to receive guests, my Lady."

As the words left the Lady's Maid's lips, she heard them. Jace and Luke, in the hallway outside of her apartment. They were jesting with each other.

Aemond heard them too and leaned into her. "I am not the sort of man to willingly share the attention of his woman. Set a boundary with them, or I will."

"Aemond..." But her words were lost. Aemond strode from her sitting area, nearly running his nephews out of the way as they crossed paths.

Jace frowned, his gaze flickering between Aesira and Aemond. While Luke, ever the one to appease, bowed his head and said, "Uncle."

Aemond ignored both boys, stepped between them, and marched further down the hall.

"What was that about?" It was Jace who asked. Luke strode across the room and plopped down on her velvet chaise, immediately digging into the leftover cranberries on her small table.

Aesira waved off Jace's concern as Alis began straightening the bed, "Remember the Archmaester I told you about? Well, he had maester Norren copy a text of every story, tale, and training he'd learned about Blue-Breath dragons. Aemond was kind enough to deliver the copy to me."

On the table, between the half-eaten slices of buttered toast and the flagon of orange and ginger juice, sat the copy of Archmaester Rhaevon Dayzthrax's 'Blue-Breaths, Blessings, and the occasional Blights'. Upholding her own promise, she'd begun reading it more dutifully and found it absolutely riveting. It seemed fitting to say Aemond had done her the kindness.

Jace pressed his lips into a tight smile. Though she'd never been dishonest with him—not that he knew of anyway—he didn't wholly believe her. He could tell, just as Baela had, that something was different about Aesira. But like with Baela, Aesira was not about to give away her secrets until she'd spoken to Rhaenyra about it first.

Luke, spying the book before Jace did, picked it up with his pink-stained fingers, "He wrote this book about Sakaris?"

"It's not about Sakaris, it's about her pedigree." Aesira snatched the book out of his hands, two pink fingermarks pressed into the grey cover, "If you're done dirtying my things, I should like to depart now."

"I spoke to my mother at your behest, cousin," Jace said, holding out an arm to her, "She's decided on lunching with you after the succession is to put to bed."

"I appreciate you speaking up for me."

"I was witness to last night's spectacular failure," He laughed, "Of course, I would aid you."

She'd tried to corner Rhaenyra after they'd settled on her petition the night before, but her cousin had been tired and weary from the sea voyage, misinterpreting everything and almost entirely distracted with the smaller children.