Chapter Fifty Nine

Aesira stepped into the tranquil oasis that was the Red Keep's gardens and was immediately struck by the beauty of the early stages of winter.

The gardens were a breathtaking sight, with the trees shedding their leaves and the branches reaching toward the sky in a haunting, yet captivating way. The ground was blanketed in a layer of snow that crunched satisfyingly underfoot as she walked, making her feel as though she was moving through a fairy tale. The air was crisp and chilly, with a freshness that invigorated her senses. Despite the cold, Aesira felt peace in the stillness of the garden.

As she explored the grounds, she came across Vhagar and Sakaris, who were resting and dozing side by side. They were truly a magnificent sight, with their scaly bodies and leathery wings.

The dragons' presence only added to the serenity of the garden, and Aesira found herself completely absorbed by the tranquility of the moment.

As Alis walked alongside her, she could see the Lady's maid pushing a large cart that was filled with an array of delicious-looking cakes and a steaming pot of tea. The sweet aroma of the cakes wafted through the air, making Aesira's mouth water with anticipation. She couldn't wait to sink her teeth into a soft and fluffy cake and wash it down with a warm sip of tea.

Ser Gyles was walking a step behind them, with two knights in tow that Aesira had never seen before. The knights were heavily armed and armor-clad, a testament to their skill and experience as warriors. Despite their intimidating presence, Aesira felt safe in their company, knowing that she was protected by some of the most skilled knights in the land.

Alis efficiently set up a small table for Aesira in the garden, despite the chilly weather. Aesira took a seat on the elegantly designed wrought iron chairs and cast her gaze toward the plate of lemon cakes that sat in front of her. She was just about to reach for one when she noticed a small, folded piece of parchment beneath the plate.

Aesira's curiosity was piqued, and she quickly glanced over her shoulder to ensure that Ser Gyles and the two knights were not watching her too closely. Satisfied that she was unobserved, she discreetly picked up the parchment and unfolded it.

It was a letter from Jace.

Aesira herself was not allowed to leave the Keep without permission, and she knew that this made it difficult for her to be Rhaenyra's spy, she was too closely monitored. To overcome this challenge, she had tasked Alis with checking in with the Rookery in the city for any letters addressed to her. Aesira hoped that this would help her stay connected with Dragonstone, and she was grateful for Alis's willingness to help her in this way.

Jace had written about the two new riders, a girl who called herself Nettles and a boy named Adam Hull, but there was a noticeable absence of the familiar and comforting tone that he had once used when writing to her. Aesira felt a pang of sadness as she realized that Jace had grown distant from her and that their friendship was no longer what it once was. That their friendship might never again be what it once was.

He might not blame her for Luke's death, but he still held a grudge against her for loving the man who had killed his brother. Aesira realized that her inability to see the monster inside Aemond had come at such a great cost to her relationship with Jace.

Aesira continued reading the letter from Jace. According to Jace, he had already begun training Nettles and Adam and was confident that they would make great additions to the dragon riders' community. He expected that she'd hear more about them from whoever the informant on the greens council was.

Jace expressed his hope that the other four riderless dragons would be claimed by the end of the week, and he was eager to hear back from Aesira about who the informant on the greens council was. He stated that it was crucial for him to have this information. His mother couldn't pretend to be the mourning mother for much longer.