Chapter Sixty Two

Aesira sat on her bed, tears streaming down her face as she read the letter from Jace.

The letter had delivered devastating news. Joffrey and Aegon the Younger had been killed by the Triarchy. Aesira's heart bled with grief as she thought of the two little boys that she had played with only months before.

She tried to stifle her sobs, not wanting to alert Ser Gyles, who was standing outside of her chambers. But the pain was too much to bear, and she couldn't help but let out quiet sobs.

Jace had put Aegon the Younger and Joffrey on a ship headed to Pentos, along with Aegon's hatchling dragon, Stormcloud. The Triarchy intercepted the ship and Aegon put Joffrey on Stormcloud's back. He had managed to make it to Dragonstone for aid. Joffrey had taken off on his own dragon, Tyraxes before anyone could stop him. By the time Jace had reached the ship attack on Vermax, Joffrey, Aegon, and Tyraxes were all dead.

Jace tried not to blame her but Aesira read the question between his words: How good was she at spying if an attack could still be mounted that killed two of the Queen's sons?

She laid her head in her hands and mourned them. Rhaenyra had lost another two children. How many more would she lose before the war finally ended?

Aegon the Elder had lost one son and his sanity, for the time being, while Rhaenyra received loss after loss after loss.

The Gods enjoyed seeing women suffer, it seemed.

As she sat there, lost in her sorrow, Alis walked into the chambers and says to Aesira, "The small council is in session right now, my Lady, and they're discussing Prince Daemon's fate."

Aesira, determined to do something to help, tossed the letter in the fire and then rushed through the Keep to the chamber of the small council. The small folk and gold-cloak knights parted for Aesira to pass, allowing her to make her way to the council chambers.

However, the knights barred Aesira from entering the chambers, but even from the passageway, she could hear Aemond and the council. They were yelling at him not to go after Daemon, but Aemond was determined.

"Daemon needs to be dealt with," he proclaimed. "He's alone at Harrenhaal. Rhaenyra's land army have deserted the accursed place."

Dowager Queen Alicent said, "There is nothing but death at Harrenhaal."

Aemond replied, "Death for my uncle."

The council did their best to dissuade Aemond, going so far as to say, "A king needs to stay in his stronghold."

But Aemond was determined and as he stormed out of the council chambers, his crown clattered on the table. He declared from just behind the doors, "Our victory will be all but assured, once Daemon is dealt with."

Aemond threw the doors open and paused at the sight of Aesira. Then, he took her by the arm and led her away. "Aemond, where are you going? What is the matter?"

Aemond replied, "I'm going to put an end to my greatest rival. Daemon."

Aesira exclaimed, "Daemon is dangerous!"

"I will not be defeated. I am not my brother."

As Aemond led Aesira towards the courtyard, she tried to convince Aemond to reconsider. She grabbed his arm and implored, "Please, Aemond. Think about what you're doing. Daemon is too dangerous. He has defeated countless knights and lords. What makes you think you'll be any different?"

Aemond was resolute. He shook off Aesira's grasp and replied, "I am not like those knights and lords, Aesira. I am Aemond One-Eye, the Kinslayer, rider of Vhagar. No one has ever defeated me in battle, and I will not be defeated by Daemon."