Page 1

The time was exactly eleven o'clock when my uncle came to pick me up at the motor park.

To my wildest surprise, he came in a BMW and I thought that he probably borrowed a car or a friend offered him a lift to come pick me up.

For a brief introduction, my name is Jennifer Onochie, I was born and brought up in Egenyi 1, a village in Ezza South L.G.A, Ebonyi state of Nigeria. I am 19 and I just finished secondary school Education.

I don't think it's nice to tell you about my school because it's just a community school for the downtrodden if you understand what I mean.

I came to spend the holiday at my uncle's house while I wait to write my JAMB by next year.

Though my parents aren't educated or rich, they are trying their best to see that I pass through College and work in a beautiful office.

I am an only child and it wasn't easy to persuade my Parents to come to Port Harcourt to visit my uncle, but I did it and here I am.

Undeniably, my uncle looked happy to see me, he barely came home (village) to visit us and I can't remember the last time he did since last year.

I can't even describe his wife or children, his children haven't been to the village before and his wife visited only during their marriage ceremony.

Whatever their reasons may be, I still feel it's abnormal to forsake your father's land only because of the city that belongs to another.

I got more surprised when the car pulled up in front of a big gate, he punched the horns and the noise blazed over the place.

The gates opened widely, it was opened by Musa, my uncle told me he is his gateman. I chose to call him Aboki (my friend).

I got more amazed when I realized the house belongs to my uncle and I saw two other cars parked in the compound.

I kept quiet though, if he chooses to hide his wealth and pretend to be poor when he comes to the village, he has his reasons and I don't want to interfere in his privacy.

He took me inside and Aunty felt delighted to see me, at least, she just found someone to help with home chores... African's and wisdom...lolz.

Wait! I forgot to tell you something!!

I am very beautiful, I grew up in the village, yes! But I don't look any different from City girls, I can actually take their boyfriends away from them if they aren't careful.

One thing is for sure, I am decent and I don't actually have time for boys, if a Nigerian babe wants to get higher, it should be plus meditation minus men!

I was also introduced to their little daughter, Nancy.

She's six and a bit troublesome. She showed me around the house with lots of giggles and sister this, sister that. She's a darling and I liked her instantly. Hope you do? Maybe you won't, 'cause she's a wide mouth.

At thirty five minutes past four, I was overwhelmed by tiredness due to the day's travel. I laid down on the couch and dozed off.

The doorbell woke me up minutes later, I cursed whosoever that was disturbing me and I forced myself out of the couch when nobody came to answer the door.

Where are the others? My uncle, his wife or daughter? I looked around but found no other presence in the parlor, I stretched myself and yawned heavily as I went to open the door.

I opened the door and beheld a very handsome face. Every other thing became blurry in my eyes and the only thing I could see was the face of the young man staring down at me.