Part 48

On my 24th birthday, July 8th, Hallie and I planned to go out and celebrate.

We were celebrating for more than one reason though- Hallie got a new job.

We went to The Alcove a week prior, and Gray told us they were now the new manager there. The old one had moved to another state- and she felt as though Gray would be perfect for the job.

"That's wonderful." I said to Gray, "Congratulations."

"Yes, that's awesome!" Hallie said to them.

Gray then said, in a joking tone, "Are either of you looking for a job? I could use someone in the back helping me with the baked goods."

I looked at Hallie, who looked at me.

Could this be an opportunity for Hallie?

"Does the job require any pastry of culinary experience?" Hallie asked Gray, "Because I have none."

Gray's eyes widened, "No experience is required. I would show you what to do. Are you really interested? I'd need someone for about 25-30 hours a week."

Hallie nodded, "Yes. I am interested. I'm looking to move on from the daycare."

"I would certainly pay you more as well." Gray said, "If you are truly interested then I would love to have you work here."

Hallie grinned at Gray, "Yes. I would love to."

My birthday was on a Thursday, and Hallie was going to be starting work on Monday. I could tell she was nervous, but Gray being her boss seemed to put her mind at ease more.

Hallie made reservations for her and I at a new vegan restaurant that opened. It was closer to where she lived with her parents, so it was a bit of a drive for us, but we both really wanted to try it out.

"Have so much fun." Cora said, giving us both a hug, "You deserve it."

Her and Felix had given me some gifts earlier in the day- including a new purse that I had really wanted.

Hallie drove us to the restaurant.

"It's weird being a passenger princess right now." I said to her, "Usually I am the one driving."

"It's your birthday." Hallie said to me, "You can be passenger princess, pillow princess. Whatever you want tonight."

I laughed, "We will see about the pillow princes part."

Hallie glanced and at me and smiled. She then said, "I'm just really glad we are celebrating your birthday together. And that you are doing much better."

"Thank you." I said, putting my hand on her thigh, "Therapy has been helping too."

"I'm so glad." Hallie said, and I could tell in her tone- she really meant it.

Hallie and I were seated at a booth in the restaurant. It was a small, yet elegant restaurant. I was seated facing the door, and Hallie sat across from me.

She wore a dark gray jean jacket with a little black dress underneath. Her hair, which was half black, half dark pink, was down and straight. It was a bit longer now, especially when she wore it straightened, almost down to her shoulders. She had on her usual heavy winged liner and mascara.

"You look really pretty." I said to her, "Well, you always do."

"So do you." Hallie said to me, "If my younger self knew that I was going to have a girlfriend as gorgeous as you- she would be very pleased."

I felt myself blush at her compliment.

The server came over and we each got a cocktail and we ordered an appetizer as well. Felix was going to be paying for our dinner as a birthday treat to me- he told us to get whatever we wanted, but we definitely weren't going to spend too much.