seventeen

April 10, 1998

I've been here three days without going back home. It's honestly been kind of boring since I can't go to school anymore with them because past Minji had to get pulled out of school. I mean how damn hard it is to attend your classes like holy shit c'mon. I think I'm supposed to be doing school work, but I have no idea what to do. She didn't leave anything written down telling me what to do. So I spend most of the days reading random books she has thrown across her room. I also go for lots of walks and explore the town my mother grew up in. That is until everyone gets out of school and I can hang out with everyone.

Today is just like the last few days. I wait by the school gates for them to run out after the last bell. However this time is different. Everyone walked out except Haerin and Danielle. Everyone was looking at me with a weird expression. What's going on?

"Where's Haerin?" The group of people that just never can seem to shut up is suddenly mute. What's going on? After a couple seconds of weird uncomfortable silence Heesoo stepped towards me.

"Minji, before I tell you what's going on I need you to promise to be calm and not make a scene." Huh? What the hell does she even mean by that I don't usually make scenes everywhere I go that's more of a Hanbi thing or a Hyein thing.

"Okay well tell me what the hell is going on?" I look around at the group of people and they are all avoiding eye contact with me—even Hanbi and she never backs down from a fight.

"Haerin had a little run in with these upperclassmen earlier so she went home." I felt my heart tighten in my chest. What's going on?

"What do you mean a run in?" I stepped closer to the shorter girl—close enough to tell that she was nervous.

"These girls were making fun of Haerin, calling her names and stuff." I felt anger boiling inside of me. How dare someone talk bad about her! She is the nicest, most gentle person I know.

"Who the fuck was it? Where are they?" I look around trying to find something I don't know what. It's not like I know what these girls look like anyway.

"Minji calm down, it's handled. They got in trouble just move on." This time Hanbi spoke. Her voice much more gentle than it usually is reminding me of Mrs. Pham—well her but older. Heesoo still looked nervous she's hiding something.

"You aren't telling me something." I pushed past Heesoo who clearly wasn't going to fess up and walked to Hyein. "Hyein what's going on?" The taller girl was clearly nervous as well. What the fuck is happening?

"They pushed her and broke her earmuffs." I sighed walking back over to Heesoo who was kicking rocks on the ground.

"You didn't try to stop them?" Heesoo looked up with a frown on her face.

"What was I supposed to do? It was just Hanbi, Haerin and I. I told a teacher and now they are suspended." I look over to Hanbi who looks just as guilty as Heesoo does.

"And you? You talk big and bag about fighting someone but when it comes down to it you're just a coward." I point my finger on Hanni's chest repeatedly before stepping back.

"What did you expect me to do Minji karate chop them? I'm five five foot nothing and they were giants!" Hanbi groans, throwing her hands in the air. In other circumstances I would laugh, but right now I'm mad. I sigh trying to calm down. I can't expect them to fight those stupid girls because I would.

"I'm sorry—wait, where is Danielle?" I look around realizing that Dani isn't here either.

"She went home early as well. Haerin wanted her to come with her." Heesoo spoke up with a little laugh. I know I shouldn't feel jealous, but I do. They have such a long complicated history together and Haerin and I have only known each other a little while.