Chapter Eleven

Amity

Waking up, the events from the long day leading late into the night yesterday flooded me all at once. But what happened shouldn't change anything because Luz and I had our own way of handling unfamiliar situations like this. There were certain things we agreed upon going without mentioning. A silent agreement that was made without words. Luz Noceda and I don't talk about our first real fight that started it all. Luz Noceda and I don't get personal with each other if we can help it unless an exception is made necessary. And now, Luz Noceda and I will not mention that kiss we shared last night.

This made things easier for the two of us to coexist in the way that we do. And, even with such, I pushed it all to the back of my mind as I hadn't been prepared to face it in any capacity regardless of how it shouldn't affect me at all. How it shouldn't matter. But even then I shouldn't have reacted how I did. I had to get my mind off of it somehow. Because all of it was too much, too early, and too soon. The regret and all the feelings that came with my actions of the day before can wait until later.

I knew I couldn't avoid it forever considering it was enviable that I'd run into Noceda but that, once again, can be pushed off until later. I stumbled down the stairs as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. On my way down the hall, I took a moment to observe the family photos hanging throughout the hall. These were things that would usually go unnoticed in my busy mind but today felt different somehow. And seeing Edric in them left a hollow feeling in my heart.

I found myself stopping before my father's office. Usually, I'd just peek in and continue on, but something stopped me. Luz, as much as I wanted to avoid the thought of her, had lost her father. I still had mine. Even if he was always busy and we barely spoke, I could still say I had him in my life, Luz can't say that.

There was something about this realization, this opportunity, to maybe take a leap for the change I had been wanting. I'd been waiting on my parents to change, but that's all I've been doing. Waiting for them to change for me without me putting any effort. If I wanted any change, then I'd have to work for it. Even if this kind of change would take a lot more than any others.

So, instead of passing by my father's office where I'd usually choose to dismiss any contact and leave him be, I instead found my feet rooted outside his door. Looking in I could see him sorting through papers as he rubbed his forehead. He seemed stressed and tired most likely due to all the work I constantly found him amongst.

So, before I could change my mind and back out of my next actions, I took a breath and knocked on the door drawing my father's eyes from his work. "Mittens? Is there something you needed?" He asked me with concern leading me to relax my shoulders slightly. His brows were furrowed as he watched me, pushing his glasses up his nose as they had begun to slip.

"I..." I started yet froze as I slightly folded in on myself. "I just wanted to say good morning to you," I mumbled quickly and squinted my eyes shut tight awaiting his response. As he let out a small, surprised chuckle, I slowly opened my eyes to see him with a small smile on his face.

"Well okay. Not what I was expecting but I'm still glad to hear from you." He placed the papers in his hands down on the desk and gave me his full attention leading me to feel a small amount of hope build within me. "Emira told me that you've joined the Press Club at your school. How is that going so far?" he asked me, sounding genuinely happy.

"Oh, it's nice so far. I like it." I said awkwardly, my guard falling a bit. The time I had spent with regard to the club had been a lot of fun. I'd been able to help one of the members with getting pictures for their article and I even helped to interview some students for quotes others could use in their articles as well. It had been fun and the club members were nice to hang out with, especially Gus. Coming back from my thoughts to the present moment I stood in the doorway unsurely as I was unaware of what to say.