Chapter Thirty-Eight

Amity

"I'm just saying that if you're going to challenge me to air hockey don't place a bet on it. You know Edric and I were the champs at it." Emira mocked while raising her hands and shaking her head at me with a winner's smirk stretched across her face. Emira had invited me to spend the day together and now we were sitting down at a table in the arcade as she teased me.

"Boo!" I shouted across the table while throwing one of my fries at her she quickly dodged while chuckling happily. Things with our family had been stressful for a long time by now, but I knew that as long as my big sister was there beside me, everything would be okay. Her laughter died down as she looked at the table for a moment before looking back at me with a thoughtful look in her eyes.

"I'm going to be taking the spring semester off of college." She stated out of nowhere and I was taken aback by this news.

"Is everything okay?" I asked her leaning forward in worry.

"Everything is fine. I just need a break and I want to be here for you more." She told me softly before a bright smile grew on her face. Something I had not seen in a long while. "Also, I'm going to train to become a volunteer parametric. I'll have to start small but after some time I could be doing something I love and helping others." She explained and I felt my heart soar for her.

"Really? That's great Emira! I'm so happy for you! Knowing that you're doing something for yourself makes me proud." I said with admiration slipping into my tone. I looked up to my older sister and it was nice to see her finally pursuing something that could make her very happy. She deserved it.

"Hey, I'm the big sister here! I'm supposed to be proud of you!" She exclaimed before going on. "Which I am by the way. Edric would have been proud too." She told me gently with a sad smile. It was painfully good to hear those words from her. "Also..." She trailed off and I furrowed my brows giving her my full attention.

"So Dad came to talk with me the other day. Turns out Mom found one of my medical books I left on the living room table." She started off and I felt my heart drop in fear.

"Oh?" I stated sadly, my tone lowering. "How did that go?" I inquired though I wasn't sure I'd be ready for the answer if it was bad. Our parents could be very unpredictable. Especially as of late. And though Dad had been acting warmer, and Mom far less cold, I didn't want to risk the chance of having false hope.

"He may have mentioned you spoke to him too." My eyes grew wide at this information yet she waved me off. "I'm not mad. I'm actually really happy to know that you care enough to do such. And because of the talk with you and a surprisingly strong push from Mom, it looks like I'm going to study what I want to." She finished and I sat there frozen in a state of shock.

"Wait, really?" She nodded. "Emira that's incredible! But, what about the family business?" I asked knowing how that question could change everything.

"Well, it also turns out that Matt kid has been a leading advocate for the family. I guess our business partners have taken a liking to us and are willing to be patient while we solve this rough patch. And our parents seem to understand that we both have our own lives, our own wants, and dreams." She said looking so unbelievably relieved that I couldn't help but follow her lead and start to feel the same. "None of this world have been possible if it weren't for you making such a good impression with them and fighting for me. I'm lucky to have a sister like you and I am so proud of you Mittens." She said before standing up and bringing me into a tight hug.

I fell into it and held her back just as tight. This was a change that was a long time coming. One I didn't believe she'd ever get even if she'd deserved it. And I couldn't wait to see it through.