Chapter 33 Death In The Family

Liu Kang and Sub-Zero walk together in conversation.

Sub-Zero: Your Shaolin masters, they're ready?

Past Liu Kang: They will fight until the last man.

Sun-Zero: That is likely what it will take.

Past Liu Kang: There will not be a fight if Kharon does not help us. Is there any word from Grandmaster Hasashi?

Sub-Zero: No. If we do not hear soon, I will return to the Netherrealm.

Before them, Scorpion and Noob Saibot emerge. Instantly, Liu Kang and Sub-Zero shift to fighting stances, but Scorpion and Noob Saibot do not follow suit, instead looking around at the scenery.

Past Liu Kang: Wrong Scorpion and Noob Saibot. This cannot be good.

Sub-Zero: Get Raiden!

As Liu Kang runs off, Sub-Zero faces Scorpion and Noob Saibot down.

Scorpion: The Fire Gardens, rebuilt? The Shirai Ryu are indeed restored.

Sub-Zero: Why are you two here? Where is Grandmaster Hasashi?

Noob Siabot: ...He is dead.

Sub-Zero: And now you have come to finish us.

Scorpion: We understand your mistrust, but we are here to assist you!

Sub-Zero: I find that impossible to believe!

They fight. As has been the case with their many fights before, Scorpion and Sub-Zero are equally matched in skill, strength, speed and powers. But this time, it is Sub-Zero who fights recklessly, allowing Scorpion the opportunities he needs to exploit his weaknesses. After a back-and-forth exchange, the wraith knocks the Grandmaster to the floor. Noob Saibots comes in and fights him. Since his death, Bi-Han's dark powers have continued to grow stronger, but Liang's own powers were always stronger than his. After an intense exchange, Noob beats Sub-Zero.

Noob Saibot: You misunderstand our intentions brother.

Suddenly, a lightning blast catches Noob square in the chest. He is hurled backwards and crashes to the ground hard. Raiden stands above the beaten Sub-Zero, his hands charged with lightning. The two Liu Kang's and both Y/N's stand beside him.

Raiden: Who sent the both of you here?

Scorpion: My future self is dead. I am here at his behest.

Sub-Zero: Grandmaster Hasashi sent the both of you?

Noob Saibot: We honor his dying wish. Kharon will ferry your armies to the Isle of Kronika. We must leave at once.

Raiden: Do you have proof of Kharon's offer?

Scorpion: ...Only our word.

Raiden: Your words are worthless. At the tournament, I trusted you to spare Bi-Han, and you betrayed me.

Scorpion: A mistake born of rage. We seek redemption.

Raiden: Lies, Scorpion! You and Bi-Han are a slave! And Kronika is your master!

They fight. Scorpion finds himself in the battle of his life. Raiden himself is at full strength in Earthrealm, he has the power of thunder and lightning at his beck and call and thousands of years of fighting experience. It takes all of Scorpion's martial arts skill and powers of the Netherrealm to even keep in the fight, but he refuses to fall, and manages to knock the Thunder God to his knees for a moment.

Scorpion: Raiden, you must listen!

Raiden: Spout your falsehoods elsewhere, Scorpion! Kronika will not entrap us!