CHAPTER 31

KATELYN'S POINT OF VIEW:

Thump thump thump

"You know that I hate you, don't you K?" Santi grins at me as he wipes sweat off his forehead, breathing heavily.

I chuckle at his words, catching my own breath. It's the first time I'd beat him on a run, and I'd say I'm overjoyed right now but I'll be just feeding his already big ego.

"You call that fast? I'm barely exhausted, you on the other hand," I pause, sticking my tongue out, "Are dying already!"

He lets out a wholehearted laugh, trying to muster up up a serious expression but failing, so badly.

"You guys done already?" I hear Caden's voice from behind, and I hum loud enough for him to hear.

"You should have seen her face when she won the race Cade, looked like she won a lottery. I let you win K! Don't forget that," Santi trails, and Caden laughs.

"Stop it you two, food's here already. Come back in when you guys are done," Caden says, as he turns to leave.

I put on my black tshirt over my drenched in sports bra, and tie up my shoelaces.

Suddenly Santi comes up behind me, and I scrunch my nose up because he smells, I do too,".

"I've got the contract," he suddenly says, it takes me a moment to understand what he's talking about, but when I do, I squeal and wrap my hands around his neck.

"No way! No fucking way!" He wraps a hand around my shoulder, snorting in process.

"Yes way, K! Yes fucking way. I'm a professional street racer now!" And I squeal even more when I hear it, so proud of him.

"I wanna see you race!" I exclaim when I pull back from the hug, his smile doesn't drop. Mine doesn't either.

"You will," he sheepishly says.

"I can't believe you're a professional street racer now!" I shake my head up and down, almost putting off the urge to dance like a headless chicken because I'm so happy.

It's always been Santiago's dream, being a professional racer. Make money from it, get an identity. I'm so happy for him.

"I'll take you to street racing with me, K. I promise, when you turn 17. No, don't look at me like that. I promise it'd be the first thing we do on your birthday. Damn- I really wanted to keep it a surprise, you bitch!"

He promised me that he'd take me.

I gasp for air when I open my eyelids, gripping whatever is near my hand. I squint my eyes, trying my best to adjust to the bright lights around me.

It takes a moment for my vision to set back to normal, the piercing pain in the side of my head doesn't stop though. I feel like it's intensifying with every passing moment.

My mind is blank, where am I? What is this? I try to move my hand but I don't feel anything, I don't feel my hands.

I try to get up from my lying position, but I fail. It's like I'm paralyzed, my entire body is numb.

Its a hospital cabin, a very spacious one. Why am I here? What happened to me?

I look down at my hands, they are wrapped up in white gauze, and a few IV strings are hooked up to them, to both my hands.

"I'm sorry K, I need to do this,"

My head is feeling so heavy, that I think it's going to explode. Everything hurts, I can move none of my limbs, none.