CHAPTER 38

I keep staring at the ceiling, unmoved- I don't know how many minutes pass, or hours. The red alarm blares through my cabin room as loud as it can. So does my heart, I feel like it's on the brink of sinking.

"No no, l'ospedale non c'è più! l'intero edificio"

Saccharine bombs, the underworld's most precious weapon. It's a bomb so powerful and so tiny, it can blow something off from it's base- in just a few seconds.

"Look, Adrian. You need to send helicopters. We need to get out of here right now!" Artemis yells into his phone. "Yes, we. I will explain everything later- yes. She's with me. Our building can blow up anytime now, you want to argue about it with me when both of us are dead?"

As soon as Art hangs up, he throws his phone at the wall- breaking it into pieces. My top is still unzipped, in the back. My scars all exposed to my brother, but I can't move a limb.

"We need to get you to safety first, come on kate," he grabs my shoulder, wrapping his big jacket around my much smaller frame. I woefully accept it, zipping it up with shaky hands.

"What do you mean?" I ask him, my voice breaks. "I want to help!"

"You're hurt, come on," tears slip out of my eyes when I fail to stand up on my own. Im always hurt, im fragile- useless.

I take his hand disdainfully, and for the first time- he gives me the smallest of his smiles, a flicker of pity in his eyes. I don't return his gesture- making sure my gaze is as blank as it can be. He doesn't deserve my kindness, none of them do.

"They blew a children's hospital off," I mumble out. Hundreds of children, all of them sick and in hope to lead a better life- all of them are dead. Fried to death.

He slowly guides me out of the cabin room, and we both realize getting out of the room was a big grave mistake.

Swarm of people, running through the hallway. I see some of them lying on the floor, getting stepped on. All desperate to get out.

Art steps back into the room with me, closing the door quickly. "We'll never be able to get out soon enough, not in this crowd."

"D'you have any idea who did...that?" I groggily ask him. Sitting back on the bed.

"You're asking the wrong person, I haven't gotten the news yet. But it's probably the Russians or Americans. God knows," he sighs. He props his elbows on his knees and rest his head on them.

"I don't think they're going to blow this building up too, however big mafia they are. It would be too non- strategic." I half talk- half whisper. Art looks at me in a weird way, probably processing how I know so much about it. It's not my fault they wanted a preppy homey barbie sister, im simply not one.

I see him looking at my neck, with furrowed eyebrows. And a stabbing pain infects the area right in the middle of my chest. I can't believe I got choked the fuck out by Adrien. I am not even angry, just sad. Im broken, am I not? Unable to hate the guy who almost broke my windpipes.

He doesn't ask me, he doesn't say anything.

Both of us, sit there silently for minutes, but to me- it felt like hours, probably even more. He knows, he knows it all.

It finally hits me, my secret is not a secret anymore. It is all out, fucking out. I'm damaged, inside and out. Ugly- inside and out. And Art now knows it all.

"You're coming back home to us, K," I get up when I hear his words, I advance towards him with a slow pace. Retarded fucker.

"Home? And when did you start calling me K?" I ask him when I'm right infront of him, he looks a bit unprepared.