2: admiring cool girl

Sunoo follows her behind to say thank you for helping him. But she was busy looking at a piece of paper while inspecting each label on the classrooms. She didn't realize he was following her.

"Excuse me," Sunoo approaches her from behind to get her attention. She turns around to look at him. "Oh, you're the one I helped just now. Why?" she asks, raising her left eyebrow.

Sunoo touches the back of his neck awkwardly, shy to start a conversation. "Actually, thank you for helping me," he says while avoiding eye contact. She suddenly comes closer to him, patting his shoulder. Sunoo is shocked by her friendly gesture.

"Just tell me if you need help; I'll surely come," she says. "Can I know your name?" Sunoo asks.

"My name? Han Yaera. Just call me Han."

"Oh, pretty name, Han."

"What about you?" she asks back.

"Kim Sunoo, or maybe known as Kim Idiot in this school." Han scrunches her forehead hearing that. "I didn't see you as one. If your name is Sunoo, then you're Sunoo."

"Well, that's what they call me." Sunoo smiles awkwardly to lighten the mood. "But I've never seen you in this school before. Are you new here?" Sunoo asks.

"Oh yeah! I was searching for my class, but I haven't found it yet," she replies while looking at a piece of paper in her hand. The information she gets kinda confusing. "Can I know which class you're in?" Sunoo asks.

"Here, the teacher gave me this." Han hands him the paper. "So, you're in the same grade as me," Sunoo mumbles slowly.

"What? I can't hear," she says after not hearing what Sunoo said. "No, I mean, I know where this class is," he smiles, willing to show her where is it.

"Nice, let's go there," she replies. Both of them walk side by side, heading to her class. Sunoo shows her where her class is, and after a few minutes, they arrive. "Here is your class," Sunoo points to the classroom.

Han looks around the class, and it's messy as hell. "Don't get me wrong; this is how lower-class looks like," Sunoo smiles at her. "Um, it's okay. I'll clean it before the students come," she replies, trying to reassure herself.

"If you need my help, just tell me," says Sunoo. "It's okay; I can do this alone. By the way, where is your class?"

"My class is upstairs and at the front," he replies. "Oh, I see. Then see you later."

"Okay." Sunoo leaves her behind and heads back to his class.

•••

Sunoo sits beside the window, his mind wandering as he gazes outside. This time he couldn't focus on the lesson because he kept thinking about Han. In his mind, he admires Han for being cool and helping him. He likes her style, even though she's a girl. She can defend herself, unlike him, who just lets whatever people do to him.

"I should be her friend," he mumbles, ignoring the teacher teaching in front. Without realizing, Sunoo creates a smile that he hasn't worn in a long time. "Kim Sunoo, are you listening to me?" the teacher asks after noticing Sunoo's lack of focus.

Sunoo stands up and starts stuttering while answering. "What's your opinion about this?" the teacher asks, pointing at the lesson he wrote on the blackboard.

"I... I agree with it, Mr. Park," Sunoo replies. Everyone in the class starts laughing, and Sunoo looks at them in confusion. "So, are you saying that you agree that we can kill anyone without being arrested?" Mr. Park asks.

"No! That's not what I meant-"

"That's why we should focus on class, guys," he says to everyone. "Sunoo, I've got my eyes on you," Mr. Park warns, pointing two fingers from his eyes to Sunoo. Sunoo bows to apologize and slowly sits back.

He sighs; he should pay attention to the class. The teacher leaves the class after the lesson, as it's now lunchtime.

-

Consider voting if you think this chapter good.