3: as long as i'm here

Every lunchtime, Sunoo stays in the classroom. He either sleeps or gazes out of the window, hesitant to go buy food because he fears encountering bullies in the cafeteria. His reluctance stems from past experiences where he couldn't refuse what they told him to do, and Sunoo despises being unable to stand up for himself.

Laying his head down on the table, closing his eyes, and trying to sleep becomes a way to escape the harsh reality. However, today is different. Someone approaches him-Riki.

"Wake up, idiot," Riki says. Sunoo sighs and opens his eyes. "What do you want, Riki?"

"Is it wrong for me to approach my friend?" Riki provokes. "Are we even friends? I'm sure you don't want to be friends with this idiot," Sunoo gestures to himself.

Sunoo and Riki used to be close friends, both being nerds but smart. However, Riki changed when bullies targeted them, and he distanced himself from Sunoo, eventually becoming a bully himself. "Of course, I don't want to, weak," Riki replies, hands in his pockets.

Someone knocks on the classroom door, and both Sunoo and Riki turn their attention to the newcomer-Han. She walks closer to Sunoo, her eyes sharp towards Riki. "Sunoo, are you getting bullied again?" Han asks.

"No, I'm not," Sunoo replies. "Let's go eat then; it's lunchtime," Han suggests. "Han, I don't want to eat," Sunoo rejects, but his stomach rumbles, revealing his hunger.

"Seems like you're lying; let's go eat," Han insists. It's as if Riki is ignored, standing there while overhearing their conversation. Sunoo forcefully follows Han, who grab his wrist, leaving Riki behind.

"Who's that girl?" Riki mumbles.

•••

Sunoo walks beside Han, lowering his head. It's not a good idea to step in into cafeteria after a while trying to avoid it. "Why do you need to bring me?" Sunoo asks.

"I'm shy to eat alone, you're my only friend here. That's why I brought you," she replies. "I don't like going to the cafeteria," Sunoo admits. "I'll make sure you like it after this."

They arrive at the cafeteria, Sunoo then holds Han's sleeve tightly, standing close to her. "Why? Walk properly, Sunoo," Han says, noticing his unease.

"You don't understand, Han," he replies. Everyone in the cafeteria watches them. Some whisper to each other, and some laugh.

Han takes a deep breath, let go of Sunoo's hand from her sleeve, and grab his wrist, leading him to buy food. "Kim Sunoo!" someone suddenly shouts his name, halting their progress.

"Ugh, I hate it," Sunoo mutters, anticipating what's about to happen. This is why he hates expose himself a place like this. The person who called his name approaches with friends in front of them.

"Buy me food," he demands. Han rolling her eyes, she steps in, preventing Sunoo from buying their food. "Who are you ordering him around?" Han challenges.

Sunoo whispers to her, "Please, don't fight with them. They are strong enough to fight."

"I don't give a fuck," she replies. "Don't act bold here, girl. One slap is enough to make you cry," the bullies taunt.

"Me? Cry? I'm the one who should say that," she smirks, about to having a good time after this. "Sunoo, buy us food now," they threaten, ignoring Han existence.

Sunoo becomes scared, wanting to buy them food to avoid escalating the situation. "Seriously, you're in cafeteria right now. Go buy it yourself!" Han raises her voice in frustration. Everyone looks at them. Something about to happen.

"Guys, hold this chick's hands. I'm going to settle her down here," the bully instructs his friends. Sunoo steps back, not wanting to get hit. They start fighting, but Han manages to avoid their attacks, fighting like a pro. She uses martial arts to fend off the bullies.

She kicks one on the face and locks another's hand against the wall. The bully whines in pain. "I can make you barren now if I want. Lucky you, I don't want. Don't ever think to fight me," she warns, whispering in his ear.

She releases him, and his friend whines in pain with bruises covering their bodies. Sunoo stands in shock, amazed by her strength. "Sunoo, come here," she calls him. Sunoo quickly went to her.

Everyone in the cafeteria was also shocked by that, not expecting someone like Han could beat the bullies. After they bought food, they were searching for a seat. When they wanted to sit somewhere, the students nearby left, maybe scared of Han. Sunoo just looked at them.

"Let's quickly eat; lunchtime is almost finishing. Ugh, those motherfuckers wasting my time," she said while blowing on her still hot food. "You're so cool," said Sunoo all of a sudden. Han stopped her hand that was almost feeding her mouth after hearing that.

"I told you not to be scared, right? As long as I'm here, no one can hurt you," she replied. Sunoo smiled genuinely hearing that, finally finding a slight happiness in his life.

-

don't forget to vote! <33