Chapter 26, Rain

Dirk sits on a rock half sticking out of the tunnel wall, bored, watching Erray building stands and ordering his smithing area.

It's been too long for the Sprout so he offers, "Hey, Sage man, if I do it for you, can we do something more interesting?"

Erray laughs, "You gonna set up smithing for a giant?"

Dirk huffs, "I can do it faster. This is so boring. You move like cold sap. Let me, than we can make something. That's better."

Erray is very amused, "It's been like five minutes."

Dirk whines, "Yeah, too long. Please."

Erray steps to the path, "Alright, show me."

Erray tries not to blink, but everytime he catches a glimpse of the Sprout, he involuntarily blinks a lot.
Dirk zips about and in half the time Erray put in, Dirk has done all the work and lit the deep fire.

The Sprout crosses his ankles and arms as he stands leaned to the anvil stand, "Will that do?"

Erray doesn't want to praise him, but is sure his voice does, "Did your hair just get longer?"

Dirk panics and pats his short hair making Erray laugh.

Dirk fusses, "Not funny. Did it?"

Erray shrugs, "Don't know seems longer than when we met. Way so serious?"

Dirk combs his tiny fingers through his short, flat top black hair, "Hair on a Fairy only grows when they walk their path of destiny."

Erray is curious, "How's that work out?"

Dirk shrugs, "Why do influencers build up static charge? I don't know the answer to either, but I'm sure it's the same."

Erray questions, "Do all Fairies have a path of destiny?"

Dirk shakes his head, "Not if they are bald. If their hair starts falling out, their destiny is being lost."

Erray wonders, "Maybe that's way she was so afraid for her hair."

Dirk admits, "Wererats will steal hair if they can. Biting it can tell what you are. Most are looking for our Lorady.

"The wind promised us our own, but either it lied, they are the same size as the others or you already ate them."

Erray laughs, "Maybe. Seems it should be you."

Dirk fusses, "You can kiss my shitter."

Erray fakes a lunge at him and he's gone.

Erray runs up the path laughing.

Dirk catches up instantly, "Where ya off to?"

Erray slows to a jog, "Need to get the rope up to the top, they put it in storage."

Dirk passes him and sits down to wait before a storage cave.

When Erray catches up, he asks, "What cha gonna do wth the rope?"

Erray goes in for the roll, stands it on its side and rolls it to move it, "Build a doorbell. I hope the net won't mess it up too much. Wasn't planning on it."

Dirk comes along, "There's a center hole in 'em. That what we're making bells for?"

"Yes, I need to be able to know someone wants in when I'm down at the bottom."

Dirk nods, "Interesting. Ya gonna hang it down and let us deliver them to it?"

Erray finds it's more work and more rope than he expected. "Was planning to leave it rolled at the top and attach them when you delivered them."