Chapter 2: Cair Parvel

Pulling away from Peter's embrace, Mara walked over to Edmund to follow his gaze. Once she caught what he was looking at, her eyes widened and turned to walk that direction. Along the way, she gathered up her clothes and walked up the hill. The others weren't far behind as they looked around. Mara turned to see Peter coming up beside her as they met each other after coming up two staircases. They heard Lucy's voice say, "I wonder who lived here." Susan replied, picking up something from the ground, "I think we did." Edmund turned to his older sister and said, walking over to her, "Hey, I think that's mine........from my chest set." Peter and Mara walked over to join the siblings with Peter's arm around Mara's shoulders. Peter raised his eyebrow and said, "Which chess set?" Edmund turned to his eldest brother and replied, "Well, I didn't exactly have a golden chest set in Finchley." Mara just rolled her eyes with a small smile at the two brothers' small banter. Lucy caught a glimpse of something and said to herself, "It can't be." Concerned, Mara turned to Peter who looked at her. Susan followed her little sister and said, "Lucy? Lu!"

Just then; Peter, Mara, and Edmund followed behind. Lucy turned to the older kids and began to place them in front of what looked like thrones. She placed Mara in the middle with Peter on her left and Susan on the right. She also placed Edmund on the left of Peter and then took her place on the far right. The girl turned and said to the older kids, "Don't you see it?! Imagine walls and columns! And a glass roof!" Mara let out a soft gasp and said, in realization, "Cair Paravel............ I don't believe it........" After making the realization, the group of kids began to walk around to take in their surroundings. Edmund then noticed something on the ground and said, grabbing everyone's attention, "Catapults......" Peter turned to his younger brother and replied, "What?" Edmund said, his eyes landing on Mara, "This didn't just happen. Cair Paravel was attacked." Mara then felt the moment to be alone, wanting to compose herself. Peter turned to follow and said, "Mara?" Mara turned to Peter and replied, distraught, "How could we have let this happen, Peter? We never should've left." Peter placed his hands on her shoulders and said, "We didn't know that something like this could've happened, Mara. This could've happened at anytime."  Mara sighed and replied, "But......don't you think my parents would've done something to help? I mean, they left before we did. Surely, they knew." Peter said, "I'm sure they did everything they could to help, Mara."

With the others, Susan was comforting Lucy while she watched Peter also comfort Mara. Her heart broke for her best friend, knowing this place was supposed to be her home just as much as theirs. Edmund caught a glimpse of something and said to Peter, "Peter?! You may want to see this!" Peter shared a concerned look with his girlfriend then walked over to his siblings with Mara behind him. Edmund was standing in front of a marble wall that was covered in branches and vines. Peter walked over to his younger brother and helped him tear down the branches, revealing a door behind them. Mara shared a confused look with Susan and Lucy who both looked at her. She watched as Peter used his pocket knife to break the door open, jumping at the noise. Once the door was opened, Peter then grabbed a stick and ripped the bottom of his shirt, trying to make a torch. Mara watched with curiosity as he looked around for something. Peter turned to Edmund and said, "I don't suppose you have a match, do you?" Edmund looked in his satchel and replied, grabbing a flashlight, "No, but I have this." Peter smiled and said, teasingly, "You could've mentioned that a bit sooner." Everyone shared smiles and Edmund walked through the door, leading the way.