Chapter 23: Honor and Loyalty

After they took charge, the Narnian's joined in. Peter and Mara stood next to each other as they watched the Narnian's, smiling in victory. Peter wrapped his arm around Mara's shoulders and said, "We did it, Mara." Mara chuckled and replied, "Yes, we did. The Telemeraine's have surrendered and the Narnian's have their kingdom back and can now live in peace." Peter smiled at her and said, "And your parents are back." Mara's smile fell and let out a sigh, wrapping her left arm around her right arm. Peter looked at her, concerned, and said, "What's wrong? Aren't you happy they're here?" Mara replied, "Oh, no! I am but.......... I'm still.........I don't know, mad? Upset? That they've been gone for so long with out a word?" Peter sighed and said, "Mara, maybe if you talk to them, they might tell you why. Just give them a chance." Mara looked at her fiancé with a conflicted look, thinking about his suggestion. After a couple minutes of thinking, Mara finally decided that she was going to make peace with her parents and find out about their absence.

So, she hesitantly walked towards them and Lucy with Peter behind her. Peter wanted to be there for Mara for moral support, knowing she might need it. It wasn't long before Caspian, Susan, and Edmund followed. Mara stood in front of her parents, anxious and hesitant. Caspian knelt in front of the Great Lion and Lioness, followed by Peter, Edmund, and Susan. Mara was the last to so, making brief eye contact with her mother as she did. Aslan smiled at all of them and said to Mara, then addressed the others, "Rise, High Queen of Narnia, my daughter. *He then turned to the others* You as well, Kings and Queens of Narnia. *He then noticed that Caspian hadn't raised like the Pevensie's* All of you." Caspian looked up at Aslan and replied, terrified, "I don't think I'm ready." Aria chuckled and said to the young prince, "It's for that very reason why we know you are, dear Prince." Caspian blushed at Aria's statement and stood. Mara shifted in her spot, anxiously waiting to talk to her parents. The group's attention turned when Lucy had stepped away to help an injured Reepicheep, who was being carried by a group of mice. Lucy knelt down to Reep after his friends placed him on the ground and gave her a droplet of her healing medicine. Reep sat up and said to Lucy, smiling in gratitude, "Thank you, Your Majesty. Thank you!" He turned and gasped at the sight of Aslan and Aria, standing side by side. The mouse walked over to the lion and lioness and said to them, "Hail, Aslan and Aria! It was a great honor to be in your presence." He went to bow but stumbled, causing him to turn to look behind him. The mouse gasped in shame and said to them, "I am completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion. Perhaps a drop more, Your Majesty?" Lucy smiled apologetically and replied, "I'm afraid it doesn't work that way." Reep said, "You could have a go." Aslan laughed and said to Reep, as his wife chuckled next to him, "It becomes you, small one."

Mara slightly smiled at her father's statement, silently agreeing with him. She turned to look at Peter and he winked at her, smiling softly. Reep took his sword out to Aslan and Aria and said to them, "All the same, Great King and Queen. I regret that I must withdraw, for a tail is the honor and glory of a mouse." Aria smiled at the mouse and nudged her husband, giving him a pointed look. Aslan smiled softly and replied, "Perhaps you think too much of your honor, friend." Reep chuckled and said, "It's not only a honor, Your Gracious Majesty. It's also great for balance, climbing, and grabbing things." One of the mice stepped forward and said, bowing his head to the lions, "May it please, Your High Majesties, we will not bear the shame of wearing the honor denied to our chief." He held out his sword to them and placed it on the ground. Aslan smiled at the loyalty and said to Reep, turning to his wife, "Not for the sake of your dignity but for the loyalty of your people." Aria smiled at the mouse and said, "Here's my gift to you, brave mouse." She stepped forward and blew a puff of air onto Reep, causing his tail to reappear. Reep smiled in surprise and replied to Aria, then addressed to Aslan, "Thank you, my Queen! *He stepped forward and placed a kiss on her paw, he then turned to Aslan and bowed to him* Thank you, my liege! I will treasure it always. From this day forward, it will serve a great reminder of my huge humility."

Both Aslan and Aria smiled at the mouse as he bowed to them once again. Reep joined his comrades, showing off his new tail. Aslan turned to Lucy and said to her, "Now, where is this dear little friend of yours you've told us so much about?" Lucy turned to look for Trumpkin and pointed him out to the lion and lioness, pointing at him. Seeing that they were all looking at him now, Trumpkin made his way over to them and knelt down in front of them, nervous. Aslan and Aria smiled and roared at the dwarf, causing him to stumble. Lucy chuckled and said to Trumpkin, "Do you see them now?" Trumpkin nodded, smiling slightly at the young girl. Aslan smiled at the group and said to them, "Now, if it's alright with all of you, Aria and I would like to speak with our daughter." At the mention of her, Mara looked up and didn't move when her parents did. Seeing that she needed a little encouragement, Peter nudged his fiancé forward. Mara turned to him, with a frightened look on her face, and shook her head. Peter nodded at her and whispered, "Go on, it will be okay." Aslan and Aria were waiting for their daughter, as they stood side by side. Mara hesitantly walked forward and followed her parents away from the group and the troops.