Chapter 16: Talking with Caspian

After turning into a lioness and her wound now fully healed, Mara then began to look around for Caspian, hoping to talk to him. Peter, Susan, and Edmund had left to go inspect the troops after Reep was placed in charge of preparations. Lucy was in charge of healing the other wounded soldiers, with the badger and Trumpkin in tow. Mara, still in her lioness form, found Caspian on a balcony ledge and smiled softly to herself. She saw so much of Peter in Caspian: his temperament, willingness to protect and defend, and potential to be a great leader. She walked forward and said, "Hey, doing okay?" Caspian jumped, startled, and replied, " Oh, Mara, you scared me. *He turned to see that it was just Mara* Yeah, I guess I'm as well as any person can be. Did you come to lecture or......" Mara chuckled and said, "Sorry. No, I just came to talk." Caspian replied, nodding at Mara's side, "How's your side?" Mara turned to look at it and said, "Surprisingly, the wound is gone. I guess that light must've been magic, sent from someone to save me." Caspian replied, "Could it have been your mum or dad? What about that magic liquid from Lucy?" Mara shrugged her shoulder and said, "I don't know why Lucy's liquid didn't work when it should've. I thought that maybe the wound was too much for it to heal. As for the light/magic, it could be my mum or dad but I'm not going to push my luck and bring my hopes up."

Caspian nodded in understanding, turning back to look at the stars. Mara shook herself, causing her fur to shake as she did. Caspian turned back to Mara and said to her, "So, you and Peter?" Mara smiled and replied, "Yeah." Caspian smiled in return and said, "You seem serious." Mara chuckled and replied, "Yes, we are. We were technically married in our years in Narnia and we had a wedding." Caspian smiled and said, "Yeah, my professor told me about it. He said it was one of the most beautiful and grandest event since Aslan and Aria's own wedding." Mara replied, "It was Peter who wanted to go all out. He claimed that it would bring all of the kingdoms together and show that we would bring peace, even after the battle. I won't be surprised if he proposes anytime soon." Caspian chuckled and said, "I can see that. I do have to ask, what are your parents really like? I've heard that they were great rulers and they would do anything to keep Narnia safe. And what was your background like?" Mara nodded and replied, "You have to understand, I was very young when they gave me up to protect me so I never got the chance to know them as parents and who they were. I was just born the week before the White Witch took over. But when Peter, Edmund, Susan, Lucy, and I walked through the wardrobe, our entire lives had changed. Not just theirs but mine. I always thought that my parents just didn't want to be burdened but then my 'Uncle', Professor Kirke, convinced me that it broke their hearts to give me up. It took me awhile to come to terms with that."

As she said that, Mara's memories of her childhood flooded back to her before the Pevensie's even came into her life. She had to stop for a brief minute, taking it all in. Mara continued, as Caspian listened, "I even distanced myself from people that weren't my uncle or the housekeeper. Believe it or not, it was Peter who actually got me to come out of my shell." Caspian stared at her in disbelief and said, "Peter?" Mara nodded with a smile and replied, chuckling, "Yes. It took me a little while to open up to him and his siblings but after we got to Narnia and we're preparing to battle the witch, that was when Peter and I began our relationship. At the same time, I'm getting to know my mum and dad. I realized that the entire time I thought they were these two people who didn't want me, were the complete opposite." Caspian said, "Wow." Mara nodded and replied, "Yeah, I know it's a lot but that's my story. Anyways, I'm trying to say is give Peter a chance. He may come across as an idiot sometimes but his heart is in the right place. And I know, deep down, yours is too." With that, Mara walked away with her tail swinging back and forth. Caspian watched her as she walked off, taking in what she had said.