Chapter 10: The How/Aslan's Stone Table

Mara and the Pevensie's were led through the forest with the Narnian's and Caspian in the lead. Peter and Mara walked next to each other as they spoke with the mouse whose name they learned was Reepicheep, or Reep. Reep had informed the couple of what had happened before their arrival, feeling that it was best if they were prepared. The group then arrived at a huge clearing that had cliff with a opening, almost looking like an entrance to cave. Centaurs were lined up in front of the entrance with their swords raised, creating a walkthrough. Being the heir of Narnia and its natural ruler, Mara moved first then Peter followed a step behind but by her side as her King consort. Edmund, Susan, and Lucy followed behind them with Caspian right behind the them. As she walked through the centaurs, Mara noticed that one of them, a young one, was struggling to hold up his sword. The older centaur next to him helped him by using his hand to raise the younger one's arm. The young centaur smiled at Mara, which she returned with a smile of her own along with a wink. The young centaur's eyes lit up then turned forward. Mara continued to walk through the walkway until she made it inside.

Once she was inside, the teenager notice so many fauns, minotaurs, and centaurs were busy with working on weapons as well as armor. Capsaicin walked up to Mara, seeing her taking in her surroundings, and turned to her. He gave her a soft smile and said, "It may not be what you're used to but it is defensible." Susan walked over to Mara, just as Peter joined Caspain and Mara, and she said to them, "Peter, Mara, you may want to see this." Peter and Mara shared a puzzled look before following Susan, with Caspian close behind. As Peter and Mara, along with Caspain, followed Susan, they came into a medium sized room. Susan walked around the room and said, "It's us." As Mara looked around, she noticed that there were images carved onto the stone walls. All of the images were based off the fight with them and the White Witch. Mara noticed one in particular with her circling the witch in her lioness form, her teeth bearing at her. She'll never forget that moment when the witch's spear was pushed into her stomach. The young teenager saw her life flash through her eyes in that single moment, where she thought her life was gone. Peter turned to Caspian, his eyes on Mara, and said to him, confused, "What is this place?" Caspian furrowed his eyes in intrigue and replied, "You don't know?"

Caspian then walked over to a table that was in the center of the room and lit up some torches to light it up. Mara had turned away at the sound of the fire being lit and her eyes widened. Susan looked over to Mara and said, her eyes widening in realization, "The Stone Table......." Caspian looked up at Susan and replied, "So, you do know?" Lucy walked over to place her hand on the cracked table and said, "It looked different back then. This is where........." Mara wrapped her arms around herself and said, causing Peter to pull her into his side, "This is where the White Witch tied my father down and tortured him then ultimately send him to his death." Caspian looked at her with sympathy and replied, "Yes.........." Lucy said, looking at Mara, "They must know what they're doing........Aslan and Aria......." Peter sighed and replied, "It's up to us now, Lu." As the others began to disperse, Mara stood in front of the cracked table, taking it all in. She remembered that night when Peter and Edmund had rushed into her tent at the camp. She remembered how empty she felt after Peter broke the news of her father's "death". And, she remembered the distraught look on her mother's face when Mara had vowed to avenge her father's death and how nothing was going to stop her in doing so. Mara was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn't notice Edmund coming up behind her. Edmund had his eyes kept on Mara, watching her as she was deep in thought. He walked up to her and said, "Mara? *Mara jumped, startled at Edmund's voice, and turned to him* They're ready for you." Mara nodded and turned back to look at the table. After getting one last look, Mara let out a deep breath and turned to face the others. She straightened her composure and held her head high with a stone face. Edmund followed Mara's lead, regaining his composure as well.