Chapter 27: Goodbye

After the goodbye hug, Mara then walked over to her parents. She knelt down in front of her mother first, knowing she would be the hardest to say goodbye to. Aria had tears brimming her eyes as she watched her daughter knelt down in front of her. Mara looked into her mother's tearful eyes, tears brimming in her own, and said, her voice breaking, "I'm going to miss you, Mum." Aria replied, standing up to nuzzle her daughter, "I'm going to miss you too, my precious cub. You've made me so proud of what you've achieved." Mara wrapped her arms around her mother's furry neck as she nuzzled and whispered, "I can't leave you." Aria chuckled sadly and whispered, "I don't want to leave you either but it must be done. You still have so much to do with your life. You have a husband now, you've grown into a beautiful young woman. It's your time. You'll still be able to come here again." Mara shook her head in her mother's fur and whispered, "It won't be the same." Aria gently pulled away and whispered, "Nothing's ever the same, sweetheart. I'd like to give you something. *She then magically pulled out a beautiful jewel mirror* If you ever need to speak with me or your father, just say so and we'll appear in this mirror." Mara looked at her mother in surprise and said, "Oh, Mum, you shouldn't have. *She took the mirror from her mother*"

After taking the mirror, Mara wrapped her arms around her mother's neck again. Aria wrapped her paw around her daughter's back, pulling her closer to her, and placed her head on her daughter's shoulder. As she embraced her daughter, tears flowed down Aria's furry cheeks. Pulling away from the embrace, Mara took one last look at her mother. Aria leaned forward and licked the girl's cheek with her big lioness tongue, wiping away the tears. Mara gave her mother a soft smile then stood up and went over to her father. Aria watched as her daughter went to Aslan, sniffling. Reepicheep walked over to the lioness Queen and placed his paw on hers, patting on it, comforting her. Aria looked down at the mouse, who gave her a small smile, and returned it sadly. Mara knelt down in front of her father and let out a deep sigh. Aslan smiled softly at his daughter and said to her, "You have done well, dear one. I'm proud of you." Mara replied, "Thank you, Dad. I'm not ready to leave you or Mum." Aslan said, placing his paw on her shoulder, "Just by saying that, tells me that you are. You have done so much for Narnia, it's time for us to return the favor." Mara sighed and replied, "How do you know I'm ready?" Aslan said, "You've brought peace to Narnia, met and fallen in love with Peter, and you are married. You're ready to start your own life. Believe me, dear one, you are ready." Mara let out a deep breath and then looked over at Peter. Peter met his wife's gaze and gave her a soft, encouraging smile. In that moment, she knew that her father was right. She was ready, it was time for her to go. The young teenager turned back to her father and said, "Okay, I'm ready." Aslan smiled and said, "Just remember, once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia. I love you, my dear one, and I am very proud of you."

After saying that, Aslan pulled his daughter close to him with his paw around her back, nuzzling her. Then, after a few moments, Aslan pulled away from the embrace and licked his daughter's cheek with his lion tongue. He gave her a soft smile as she stood from her knelt position. Aslan followed her over to the siblings and gave a comforting smile to each one of them. Aria then walked over to him, joining him at his side. Mara then joined Peter, standing next to him, and smiled sadly at him as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Reepicheep then joined the group and said to Mara, standing in front of her and Peter, "Till we meet again, Your Majesty." He took his sword out and swished it in front of him, bowing to Mara. Mara smiled softly at the mouse and replied, glancing over at Caspian, "Reep, I trust that you can keep Narnia and Caspian safe along with keeping Caspian out of trouble while I'm gone." Reep bowed to her again and said, "You have my word, my Queen." Aslan turned to Peter with Aria next to him and said, "Look after her, Peter. Keep her safe and loved." Peter bowed his head at the lion and replied, "On my life, Aslan, you have my word." Aria said to Peter, "I gave Mara a mirror to keep in contact with Aslan and I. Just know that if either you, Mara, or any of your siblings need to talk to us, we're here." Peter bowed his head to the lioness and replied, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

Peter, Mara, Lucy, and Edmund then walked over to the side of the tree, waiting on Susan who was saying her goodbye to Caspian. Mara watched the two, hoping that their goodbye would end with a kiss, but was disappointed when Susan seemed to walk over to them. However, Susan surprised her by turning back to Caspian and brought him into a kiss. Lucy smiled at the sight and said, "I'm sure when I'm older, I'll understand." Mara smiled at Peter as she turned to look at him and he returned the smile with his own. Edmund said, having a grossed out look on his face, "I'm older and I don't think I want to understand." Mara and Peter chuckled at the the younger siblings and kissed each other, passionately. Susan gave one last smile to Caspian after pulling away from their kiss and walked over to her family. Mara and Peter pulled away from their kiss to stand in front of the tree.