Chapter 9: Caspian

The sound of swords clashing against each other grabbed the group's attention and followed the noise. When they got closer, they spotted Mara sword-fighting an older boy, a couple inches taller than her. Peter went to go to help Mara but Edmund put his arm in front of him to stop him. He knew that out of all of them, Mara was one of the most skilled sword fighter. Sure, Edmund and Peter were too but Mara excelled in sword fighting. Mara was able to get the boy's sword stuck in a tree, allowing her to move to put her sword against his throat. At that move, the boy froze in fear, his eyes wide. Peter shouted, worried for Mara, "'Mara!!" At the sight of the girl's sword and then noticing the lion necklace around her neck and also seeing the group behind her, the boy's eyes lit up. He breathed heavily and said, "High Queen Amara?" Mara eyed the boy in front of her then lowered her sword, allowing him a breather. Once her sword was down, Peter rushed over to his girlfriend's side with his siblings following him. Mara nodded and replied, as her boyfriend wrapped his arm around her, "I believe you called?" The boy nodded and said, "Well.....I thought you'd be......older.....taller...." Peter smirked and replied, "We can come back in a couple years if you'd like." Mara nudged Peter in his side with her elbow, causing him to grunt and whine at the hit, and she said, scolding her boyfriend, "Peter........." The boy shook his head with a smile and said, "Oh, no. It's quite alright. You're just not what I expected........"

As the boy looked around the group, his eyes landed on Susan and he kept his gaze on her for a brief moment. Mara gave him a soft smile and said, grabbing his attention, "You're not what we expected either, if I'm not mistaken. I never caught your name........" The boy smiled and replied, bowing his head in respect, "Prince Caspian, Your Majesty.........so.....you're the daughter of Aslan and Aria?" Mara sighed and said, "Guilty as charged, I'm afraid." Caspian's eyebrows furrowed in concern and replied, "I was told many stories about you and your friends, Your Majesty." Peter said, rubbing Mara's arm with his hand, "All good ones, I hope?" Caspian nodded and replied, "Nothing but the best, Your Majesty." Just then, Minotaurs and Centaurs appeared in the trees and a badger appeared. The badger bowed to Mara and Peter and said, "If I may so, Your Majesties, even a common enemy unties the oldest of foes." A mouse appeared next to the badger, wearing a hat and a belt around him that held a small sword. The mouse bowed to Mara and said to her,  "We have anxiously awaited your return, Your Majesty. Our hearts and swords are at your service." Mara smiled and nodded her head at him, slightly bowing her head.

From behind her, Lucy stood in the middle of Edmund and Susan. Lucy grinned and whispered to her brother and sister, "Oh, my Gosh, he's so cute." The mouse had heard Lucy and readied his sword, feeling offended. He looked around and said, narrowing his eyes, "Who said that?!" Lucy waved her hand and replied, apologizing with a sheepish smile, "Sorry." The mouse bowed to Lucy and said, "Oh, uh.....Your Majesty, with the greatest respect, I do think "courageous", "courteous", or  "chivalrous" might befit a knight of Narnia." Peter shared a smile with Mara and said, turning back to the mouse, "Well, at least we know some of you can handle a blade." The mouse bowed to Peter and replied, "Yes, indeed. And I have recently put it to good use, securing weapons for your and Her Majesty's army, sire." Peter nodded in approval and said, "Good, cause we're going to need every sword we can get." Caspian picked up Mara's sword from the ground and handed it to her. He said to her, "Well, then you'll probably be wanting yours back, Your Majesty." Mara smiled softly at Caspian and replied, "Thank you."