Chapter 13: Attack/Retreat

Meanwhile, from the rooftops, Mara paced around while Edmund played with his flashlight. She turned to him and placed her hands on her hips, staring at him. Edmund had stopped and turned to his friend. He looked at her and said, "What?" Mara raised her eyebrow and replied, "Do you think that playing with your torch on a watchtower is the best idea? What if you dropped it? That thing is our signal." Edmund sighed but put his torch away on his belt with his sword. Mara saw Miraz running from below and turned to Edmund, alarmed. She didn't know what happened but she knew she needed to act fast. She said to him, pointing to the torch, "So the signal, Ed, now!" Edmund listened to his friend and flashed his flashlight several times, signaling their troops. Peter then rushed into the courtyard and was about to shout to Edmund to do the signal but had saw that Mara had already done so. He smiled to himself, at least one person knew to follow through with the plan and keep someone else in check. He was glad that it was his girlfriend, he knew he could trust her to do that.

After sending the signal, Edmund and Mara high-fived each other in slight victory and danced around a bit when their troops took action. However, their small victory was interrupted when a couple of guards appeared. Edmund and Mara turned to face them and readied their swords. Edmund slightly stepped in front of Mara to protect her but she shook her head at him. Just then, that was when the two friends took on the two guards. Edmund and Mara stood behind each other, protecting each other's backs, as they fought the guards with their swords. From below, Peter's eyes trailed up to the rooftops after taking down a guard and his eye widened to see his brother and girlfriend fighting guards. He shouted, worried for both his girlfriend and brother, "Mara! Edmund!" Edmund shouted back to his brother, kicking a guard off of the roof before he could attack Mara, "A little busy here, Pete!!" However, neither Edmund nor Mara noticed another guard sneaking from behind Mara and empaled her in her side. Peter's eyes widened in shock and shouted, "Mara!!!" Edmund turned around just as Mara let out a painful shriek and gasped at his friend's wound. Mara limped backwards, falling off of the roof, causing Edmund to rush forward to grab her but he didn't need to.

One of the griffins from their troops had caught Mara in time. The griffin flew down, stopping in front of Peter. Peter rushed over to his girlfriend's side, seeing her face scrunched up in pain, and said to the griffin, "Get her back to the How, now! Tell Lucy that she's hurt." The griffin bowed his head and replied, "Yes, Your Majesty!" With that, the griffin flew off while Peter watched with pure concern and fear on his face. All he could do was pray to Aslan and Aria that Mara would make it. By now, he knew that they were outnumbered and they had to retreat. He shouted, "Fall back! Get out!" Peter met Caspian and Susan in the middle and the three pushed the Narnian's to the gate where Caspian and Peter moved to open it. At the same time, Caspian managed to get horses for himself, Peter, Susan, and his professor. Peter got onto the horse and urged the Narnian's forward and was able to get out of the castle.

Sadly, the gate had closed on some of the Narnian's who were trapped inside where still fighting. Peter turned to go to the gate but a centaur nodded at him, silently telling him that they were going to continue fighting and for him to get to safety. Caspian turned to Peter and shouted, "Peter, the bridge!" The teenager kicked his horse in the side, causing the horse to turn around and race over to Caspian. He was able to get of the bridge just in time before it was pulled upwards. From above, Edmund flew on a griffin as he took in the sight of all of the bodies from below. He grimaced, this would become a nasty blow to the Narnian's as they would continue to push forward. 'Maybe we should've listened to Caspian after all.', thought Edmund. As they rode back to the How, all Peter could think about was Mara. He hoped that by the time he got back, she would be okay.