Chapter 19: Coming Face to Face with the Enemy/ The Duel

As Peter and Mara, with Edmund behind them, walked outside, they were taken back by the numbers of soldiers Miraz had behind him. The trio shared worried glances, they now knew that they were going to be outnumbered. Susan and Lucy were nowhere in sight, since they had already gotten a head start. Caspian stood at the entrance of the ruins, waiting for the two Kings and Queen. His eyes then trailed up to the top of the entrance of the show to see the archers at the ready, in a form of a Plan B in case something went wrong. The two Kings and Queen made it to the edge of the ruins where Miraz sat in a throne like chair with his advisers at his side. Peter took one glance at Mara, trying one more time to get her to safety. Peter turned to Mara and said, placing his hand on her cheek gently, "If something goes wrong, I want you to go after Susan and Lucy and make sure they're safe. Okay?" Mara shook her head and replied, "No, no matter what happens, my place is here......with you.... Please, don't make me leave." Peter sighed and said, brushing his nose against hers, "Okay but like I said earlier, you must stay with Edmund."

Edmund had overheard the words and looked at his brother. Peter turned to him and nodded at him, which Edmund returned. Edmund didn't need to be told twice when it came to Mara. Before Peter could walk away, Mara grasped onto his armor and pulled her towards him. She then placed her lips on his, pulling him into a passionate kiss. In that moment, the Narnian's cheered for the High Queen and the High King Consort. From his spot, Miraz simply rolled his eyes at the lovesick teenagers. He muttered, "Can we get on with this?" Upon hearing him, Peter and Mara pulled away and stared into each other's eyes. Mara whispered, determination in her eyes, "Kick his arse, Peter." With an newfound determination and willingness, Peter brought Mara into one last kiss before turning to Miraz. As he walked away, Mara walked over to Edmund with her left arm holding her right arm and her right hand on her chest. Worry filled Mara as she watched as Peter and Miraz met in the middle. Edmund wrapped his arm around Mara, comforting her. Caspian had joined the two, standing on the other side of Mara, and placed his hand on her back. As Caspian did so, he then noticed the engagement ring on Mara's finger, making his eyes widened. Now, he knew why Peter and Mara were taking a little time with each other.

Turning back to the situation at hand, Caspian turned to now see Peter and Miraz circling each other. Miraz smirked at the young teenage boy and said to him, "There's still time to surrender." Peter glared at the older man and replied, "Well, feel free." Peter wasn't going to give up without a fight, not when he had so much to fight for. He was willing to give up everything for Mara and Narnia. Miraz said, smugly, "How many must die for the throne?" Peter replied, narrowing his eyes, "Just one." With that, Peter had lowered his helmet and took the first strike at Miraz with his sword. From the sidelines, Edmund and Caspian and shared a glance as Mara jumped, startled at the sound. She watched as Peter and Miraz went back and forth, their swords clashing against each other's. Suddenly, Miraz hit Peter's shield, hard enough to cause Peter's helmet to fall off. However, Peter was able to kneel down and swipe Miraz's leg with his sword, causing the man to yell out in pain. Mara cringed but smirked to herself. In retaliation, Miraz stood and grabbed Peter's arm, twisting it behind his back. Mara gasped at Peter's painful shout, turning her head to avoid looking.

Finally, Peter was able to get on his feet and stood a few feet away from Miraz. Both of them stumbled from the injuries they gave each other. Miraz smirked at Peter and said, "Does His Highness need a respite?" Peter replied, "5 minutes?" Miraz sneered, "3." Each ruler went back to their sides, with Mara instantly rushing over to her fiancée's side. Edmund had gotten a chair for Peter and helped him sit down as Mara fussed over Peter's injuries. Just as Peter sat down, Susan arrived on a horse with Caspian behind her on the same horse. Mara and Edmund were so distracted by the fight that they hadn't noticed that Caspian had rode off to help Lucy and Susan. Peter looked up at his sister and said to her, concerned for their younger sister, "Lucy?" Susan nodded in reassurance and replied, as she gave a short nod to Caspian, "She got through, with a little help." Peter smiled gratefully at Caspian and said, "Thanks." Caspian returned a small smile and replied, "Well, you were a little busy." Peter turned to his sister and said to her, "You better get up there. I don't expect that the Telmarines will keep their word."

Susan rushed over to her older brother and brought him into a hug, causing him to groan out in pain. Mara slightly winced at her fiancée's groan from her knelt position by his side, her hand on his knee. Susan pulled away from her brother and said, wincing, "Sorry." Peter gave her a small smile and replied, "It's alright." Before Susan left, she gave a comforting hug to Mara, reassuring her that Lucy would bring her parents and that everything would be okay. With that, Susan ran towards the entrance to join the archers on the top of the How. Mara stood up from her knelt position to stand by Peter's side, taking his outstretched hand. Edmund turned to his older brother and said to him, "Keep smiling, Pete." He had noticed that the Narnian's had gotten quite, probably worried about his brother's condition. Peter turned around with Mara and they both smiled. Peter had grabbed his sword and raised it, slightly wincing from the pain of his dislocated shoulder. As he did so, the Narnian's cheered. Mara helped him sit back down into the chair, her hand gently placed on his shoulder, with her engagement ring showing. Peter winced at his shoulder and groaned. Upon hearing the young king's groan, Caspian rushed over to Peter and Mara, wanting to help in anyway he could. Mara noticed and said to him, instantly worried, "You alright, love?" Peter shook his head and replied, groaning, "My shoulder, I think it's dislocated." Edmund had switched places with Caspian, placing his hands on his older brother's shoulder. Peter said to Edmund and Mara, "What do you think happens back home if we die here? You know you two have always been there for me and I don't think......ah!!!"

In the midst of Peter's rambling, Mara had nodded at Edmund, silently telling him to push Peter's shoulder back in place while he was distracted. Once it was back in place, Peter had let out a groan. Mara had jumped and cringed at Peter's shout, turning her head to the side. Edmund gently patted his brother's shoulder and said, "Talk about it later." Mara had gotten Peter's sword and helmet, walking over to the two brothers. Peter took his sword from his fiancée and said to her, "Any advice?" Mara smirked at her fiancée and replied, placing her hand on his cheek, "Yeah, get him where it hurts and take him down. Make him suffer for thinking he can take Narnia." Peter smiled at his fiancé and brought her into a kiss. In the kiss, Mara had placed her other hand on Peter's other kiss, cupping his face. Startling the couple, the Narnian's cheered. At the moment, Edmund smiled brightly at his brother and best friend.