Chapter 23: Reconciliation

As they walked, Mara kept her head down to avoid talking to her parents for the moment. She was scared of what the conversation might be like. The trio made it to a secluded clearing in the forest and stopped. Aslan laid down on the ground and watched his daughter, observing her. Aria then joined him, laying down next to him, and turned to their daughter. Aslan gave his daughter a soft smile and said, "If you want to shout or reprimand us, you may, dear one." Mara sighed and replied, taking her spot in between her parents, "Shouting and yelling wouldn't get us anywhere and that wouldn't be any use. And I'm sure that Peter wouldn't like it if I did. Although, it would've been nice to know that you had left and a sign that you were okay. *Tears brimmed her eyes and her voice broke* thought you had died." Aria looked at her daughter with sympathy and said, as she stood to nuzzle her, "We could never leave you, my sweetling. It broke our hearts that we had to leave you again but we knew you would be well taken care of." Aslan smiled at Mara and said to her, "Speaking of Peter, a little birdie has told us that he had proposed." Mara blushed and replied, nodding, "He did, I'm sure he would've asked your permission first but........." Aslan chuckled and said to his daughter, "He wouldn't have needed to, dear one. Peter is a very special young man, the one I deem worthy of your love and affection. Does he make you happy and feel loved?" Mara nodded and replied, "Very much so, Daddy." Aslan smiled at her and said, "I can't think of anyone else who deserves that role." Aria smiled at her daughter and said, nuzzling her again, "Oh, my little cub is going to get married! I remember the day when the physician told me I was pregnant with you. Only seems like yesterday." Mara groaned embarrassingly and replied, blushing when her mother licked her cheek with her big lion tongue, "Ugh, Mum! Not the cheek!" Aslan chuckled at his wife and daughter then laughed when Aria nuzzled their daughter to the ground. Mara laughed and said, trying her best to get her mother's head off of her, "Mum! Mummy, stop! You're heavy!" Aria leaned back and smiled lovingly at her daughter, taking a good look at her.

Aria could see how much her daughter had changed and grown from the last time she saw her. The lioness turned to look at her husband who was smiling brightly at her, watching them. She walked over to him and nuzzled him, rubbing her head underneath his neck. Mara sat up and watched her parents with a small smile. After reuniting with her parents, she didn't feel any anger or sadness about them being gone. They were back and that's all that mattered. Mara then realized something, she truly didn't need to be in Narnia anymore. She had a life back in England with Peter and the others. They belonged together and now with her and Peter engaged, they really did. Even though the young Queen was born in Narnia and was meant to live here, she knew deep down she should be with the Pevensie's. She had her time as a Queen but now, it was time to move on. Aslan noticed his daughter was lost in thought and said to her, "What's the matter, dear one?" Mara cleared her throat and replied, "I've been thinking about something for awhile since my time in Narnia and I wanted to speak to you and Mum about it." Aria looked at her daughter concerned and said, placing herself behind the young girl and laid behind her, "Of course, my cub, you can speak to us about anything. What is it?" Mara let out a sigh and spoke her mind, her heart skipping a beat, nervously. It might hurt her heart to leave Narnia but she was growing up and it was time to move on and let go.