Chapter 21: The Battle

As Caspian raced off to the entrance, Mara and Susan watched as they waited for Peter's signal. The Narnian's stood at the entrance as the Telermaine's began to throw catapults at them. Peter turned Caspian and nodded at him, giving him the signal. He then turned to look up at Mara who gave him a small nod, which he returned. With Caspian in the How, underground with the other Narnian's, Peter was able to start the countdown as he stood next to Edmund. Peter said, "One, two........." From blow, Caspian said, "Three, four........." Mara said, next to Susan as she readied her bow and arrow, "Five, six......." Susan turned to the other archers and said, readying her own bow and arrow, "Take your aim!!" Trumpkin shouted, from his spot next to Mara, "Stay with them!!" Mara then noticed that the archers began to struggle and shouted, "Steady!" From the ground, Peter shouted, "Eight, nine! Get ready!" From below, Caspian charged with his group. He shouted, as they began to knock down the pillars, "Now!!" Up above, Susan and Mara gave the order to the archers to shoot. The girls shouted, "Now!" Just as they said that, Peter pointed his sword from the ground and shouted, "Charge!!!"

As they charged; Mara, Susan, Trumpkin, and the archers continued to shoot from above. Mara glanced to the side to look at the trees, only to see them still. She sighed and said to herself, "Come on, Lucy." From the ground, Peter could tell that they were getting outnumbered. If he didn't call them back now, they would surely lose the battle and he couldn't risk it. He turned to look at the trees but sighed in sadness when they weren't moving. The young teenage boy turned to look at his fiancé from above who only shook her head at him. He knew he had to make the call and so he did. Peter turned to his troops and shouted, "Back to the How!!" The others had heard his command and headed back to the How. However, due to the force from the catapults, the structure had become unstable and was beginning to collapse on the unknowing Narnian's.

Peter stopped just in time and stood next to Caspian and Edmund in shock. He then noticed a tree was beginning to fall next to his sister and fiancé and shouted to them, worried, "Mara, Susan!! Look out!!" It was too late as the girls began to loose their footing. However, Susan regained her footing but it was Mara who was unlucky as she leaned forward, almost falling. As she let out a terrified shriek. The girl yelped as Susan and Trumpkin rushed forward, holding their hands out to her and grabbing her own hands. Peter shouted, watching helplessly, "Mara!!" As Mara began to lose her grip on Susan and Trumpkin's hands, she fell onto a rock below her that once laid above the entrance to the How. Peter let out a sigh of relief, sharing smiles with Caspian and Edmund. The boys then turned around to face their enemy once more. If it was a fight they wanted, then they were going to get one.