Romance

Tom's POV

I was so nervous it was taking everything I had not to  give it away. I felt sick, the butterflies in my stomach churning away. Why was I so nervous, there was no way that this was going to go wrong - I just wouldn't let it. I had the perfect plan that had taken weeks to come up with and set in place. Everything was just so - the ideal restaurant reservation at her favourite spot, the flowers now sitting in a vase on the dining room table - at least that first step had gone without a hitch - the small velvet ring box burning a hole in my pocket.

I'd spent hours scouring websites and visiting jewelers, looking for the one. The absolute perfect ring to make her mine forever. She hated big, gaudy, tacky, blingy jewelry, preferring the subtle, understated and classy. And that was what I had found for her. A beautiful platinum ring with a small marquise cut diamond offset by tiny chips of aquamarine. It was perfect for her and the second I saw it I just knew.

And now here I was, pacing in the hallway, nerves jittering away inside me, feeling sweaty and on edge, waiting for her to get ready so I could continue with my plan to make this proposal the most romantic ever. She hated public displays of ostentation so whilst we were heading out for dinner I wasn't going to actually ask till we got home - I'd spent the afternoon while she was at a spa hanging strings of fairy lights in the garden, all around the trellis at the end where her favourite lilac bush grew and the lanterns hung. It really did look fantastic if I said so myself. There was champagne in the fridge along with her favourite nibbles and fruit. I wanted this to go right.

In my pacing I hadn't heard her walk down the stairs and it was only when I turned to pace back that I saw her. Oh, but I loved her. So much. She was an absolute vision in her deep royal blue ruffled dress. Her soft skin almost glowing against it as she made her way down the stairs in her matching heels. My heart almost burst at the sight of this veritable goddess standing before me. I smiled at her cheeky grin as she did her usual twirl for me to see the full outfit.

I couldn't say a word, just overawed by the whole thing - her beauty, her personality, my nerves, my stress and the overarching need for her to be mine and mine alone forever.

*************************************************************

After twirling for him she stopped to give him a careful glance - he was never this quiet, but the visible gulp he took and the stars shining in his eyes let her know he was stunned. A smile stretched across her face as she stepped forward and leaned into him, smelling the rich scent of his aftershave mixed with his skin, as her warmth surrounded him, reaching her arms around his side. He started to reach up towards her as she announced:

"I'm driving"  with a wink and grabbed the keys from behind him on the hall table he was standing in front of.

All he could see was her beautiful deep eyes twinkling with glee, and the long line of her neck as she turned her head towards the door and it was just too much for him.

He blurted out, without thinking

"Marry me."

She turned back in surprise, not entirely sure of what she had heard, a puzzled look on her face. Wasting no time he was by her side, strong body close, holding her upper arms as as he kissed her hard on the lips.

He pulled back still holding her arms and staring into her sweet face he repeated

"Marry me"

Shock danced across her face as his words finally got through, her mouth dropping open and eyes widening as he let go of her, and fumbling at his trouser pocket he dropped to his knee in the hallway, next to the pile of coats, shoes and bags, in the bright harsh light, far from the romantic setting he had planned.