Emma: Confidante

Story description: If Jane Fairfax confided in Emma Woodhouse before Frank Churchill arrived, could they have landed on another option for Jane? Absolutely! (Ace-aro Jane)

A/N: Chocolate Box gift for frausorge on AO3, who wanted to see Jane confide in Emma, and likes to encounter ace characters

Confidante

Emma Woodhouse was among the first callers when Jane Fairfax returned to Highbury, and their conversation was all that was pleasant and friendly. Indeed, it led Jane to wonder if fortune had placed in her way the very confidante she craved. Her aunt and grandmother were fine companions in their way, truly kind and comforting, but not at all ones to whom she could unburden her heart. Her aunt was sadly unable to keep a secret to herself for any duration.

When Miss Woodhouse departed, Jane recalled their encounters during her previous stays at Highbury. Each time she had become convinced that Miss Woodhouse was merely being polite and had no interest in true friendship. It seemed odd, given how devoid local society was of other young ladies their age. One would have expected that they each should have craved and treasured a deeper acquaintance, and yet for one reason or another, it had not occurred.

With a three or four-month's stay ahead of her — and a desire to distract herself from recent complications in her own life — Jane listened carefully when anyone mentioned Miss Woodhouse. Mr. Knightly expressed pleasure to learn that she had called, and later that same day Mrs. Weston repeated the sentiment.

Jane sought further explanation. "I noticed that you and... others... expressed a great deal of satisfaction that Miss Woodhouse had been among my first visitors. I must confess my surprise, as she has always been attentive when I visit my family. May I inquire why her calling upon me is of such..." She paused to select the right word. "Such importance?"

The explanation from Mrs. Weston was not entirely a surprise. Jane herself had thought that a friendship with Miss Woodhouse would have been deemed natural and even expected. But now she perceived an aspect she had not considered. "And has Miss Woodhouse been subjected to this encouragement to befriend me on every occasion I returned to Highbury?"

Mrs. Weston confirmed it.

Jane was certain the encouragement had been kindly meant, but oh, what a burden had been placed on Miss Woodhouse! It was no wonder her overtures of friendship had felt more a matter of duty than inclination.

The next caller was Mrs. Goddard, an old friend of the Bates family and — as the proprietress of a school for girls — someone who could be counted on to assess the character of young ladies. As it was a fine day, Jane proposed walking back to the school with the woman, declaring that she would enjoy the exercise. By the time they reached their destination, Jane learned that Mrs. Goddard had recently brought a young pupil — a Miss Harriet Smith — to the attention of Miss Woodhouse.

"No one could be kinder," Mrs. Goddard said of Miss Woodhouse. "She was generous with her time and attention, much more generous than I anticipated. I wonder, perhaps, if she has been lonely, now that her governess has married and removed from Hartfield."

Having arrived at the school, Jane accepted an offer of tea. She knew that staying for tea was the perfect opportunity to hear the opinions of the school's teachers. They were not in agreement regarding Miss Woodhouse. One praised her for improving the manner and taste of the aforementioned Harriet Smith. Another argued that their pupil had gained ideas above her station as a result of the association. It was generally agreed that Harriet had recently formed a romantic attachment — a preference for a young man in the neighborhood — and that neither Harriet nor Miss Woodhouse could be prevailed upon to reveal any particulars.